What's the most unforgiving game you've ever played?

SashaS

Full GL Member
Credits
Not too sure if this was posted here before, but there are a lot of games out there that are very difficult and then there are games that are difficult and unforgiving. They punish you for your failure and make sure you learn your lesson. This is done either by forcing you to go very far back in the level/chapter or by taking away your resources. For example in Minecraft, you lose everything in your inventory when you die.

I usually stay away from these types of games and the only ones I can really consider annoyingly unforgiving from my own experience are Geometry Dash, Crash Bandicoot (I think it was Wrath of Cortex back on the PS2) and The Binding of Isaac.

Which games made you want to drink bleach and kill yourself?

Battle toads, Myst, Mighty no 9.

Tales of Maj'eyal, but all the roguelike are like that (unforgiving and trollish permadeath games) so I can't say this kind of game really counts as one of the most unforgiving game I have ever played.
Demon's souls also has its share in regards of unforgiving gameplay, since everytime you die, enemies become stronger.

Ikaruga, but again, is a bullethell shooter. Those are meant to be rageinducing, to the level of losing your temper and break any stuff nearby.

You know what's crazy, I came from the days of Mario Bros and the regular NES. So you'd figure I would have the patients to keep at it with a game until I finished it. Hell, I had a Elders Scroll game I never beat for the regular X Box that still bugs me till this day. But for some reason if a game is just unreasonably too hard to deal with I just chuck it aside now. I just don't see the point anymore even if it means that it will probably remain in the back of my head for life.

As the OP say's, there's a lot of games out there that are hard to play but looking at it from a different point of view, Hard Rain is a game that a lot of people struggled with but just due to the unique control system that it employed. After a while the control system worked well and was well suited to the game, but for a newbie that first started playing it, myself included at the time, it was very hard to get to grips with.

Hard Rain is one of my favourite games of all time, but anybody who's played it will know what I'm talking about when I say that the controls did take a lot of getting used to

I am going to date myself with this answer but Mega Man (NES 1987) was a very difficult game to play and win. You would basically have to memorize the level and remember where the enemies were since they were quick and deadly accurate. Compounding the difficulty, the game looks like it should have been 'easier' to win (if you play the Dark Souls series, you know it is going to be hard and are mentally prepared for it) but it was probably the second hardest game to win (BattleToads was probably a slightly more difficult game) but I found MegaMan to be the more unforgiving of the two.

The first Dark Souls. I got it free with Xbox games with gold a couple of years ago and it was so hard for me, just could get to grips with how to play it - gave up very quickly.

I am going to date myself with this answer but Mega Man (NES 1987) was a very difficult game to play and win. You would basically have to memorize the level and remember where the enemies were since they were quick and deadly accurate. Compounding the difficulty, the game looks like it should have been 'easier' to win (if you play the Dark Souls series, you know it is going to be hard and are mentally prepared for it) but it was probably the second hardest game to win (BattleToads was probably a slightly more difficult game) but I found MegaMan to be the more unforgiving of the two.

megaman worse than battletoads? That's a bold statement.

megaman worse than battletoads? That's a bold statement.
Not too bold a statement as I said that Battletoads was a slightly more difficult game overall but I found MegaMan to definitely be the more frustrating to win in my opinion. Battletoads was a much more entertaining game to play and I actually 'won' the game more quickly in comparison. On a side note, the Mario 'Lost Levels' game that was not released for the NES in America when it originally came out and that was only included in the Mario All-Stars game for the Wii .. is a beast. The game play is probably the toughest of all the Mario games and the introduction of the poison mushroom just upped the difficulty level.

Not too bold a statement as I said that Battletoads was a slightly more difficult game overall but I found MegaMan to definitely be the more frustrating to win in my opinion. Battletoads was a much more entertaining game to play and I actually 'won' the game more quickly in comparison. On a side note, the Mario 'Lost Levels' game that was not released for the NES in America when it originally came out and that was only included in the Mario All-Stars game for the Wii .. is a beast. The game play is probably the toughest of all the Mario games and the introduction of the poison mushroom just upped the difficulty level.

Megaman though would be easier since its not so fast paced comapred to some battletoad levels.

Also the Lost Levels came out on the SNES version of Mario All Stars as well.

Back