When should online only systems be made?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Gamers have complained pretty strongly over the next Xbox possbily being online only, but sooner or later this will happen. When do you think that time will be? Next gen or 10 gens away?

Thats hard to say. It will probably be when more people will have access to a decent internet connection. The majority of people nowadays only have a connection speed of 1MB. Not to mention that some ISPs have a lot of downtime.
And they will also have to greatly improve their systems to prevent server crashes and hacks.

When Internet connection can't shit out, and when Google Fiber is available nationwide.

It isn't a matter of when. What will happen is one of the system like the new xbox will just be like that, barely anyone will buy it, then they will go out of business.

Sure plenty of people have internet but a lot of game disconnect like crazy. I would never buy a system where it doesn't work if it's not online. It's totally stupid.

Memento Mori said:
Thats hard to say. It will probably be when more people will have access to a decent internet connection. The majority of people nowadays only have a connection speed of 1MB. Not to mention that some ISPs have a lot of downtime.
And they will also have to greatly improve their systems to prevent server crashes and hacks.
 1MB/s is quite high. 1Mbps (1/8) is much more popular.

GracefulAssassin said:
When Internet connection can't shit out, and when Google Fiber is available nationwide.
Don't forget the two (or more?) ISPs with 1Gbps or more.

Onlive has a $99 Online-only console with a controller for gamers who don't want to use a tablet, PC, Mac, and other internet device to play games via Onlive. I read the Ouya will support the Android Onlive App since Ouya uses Android as its operating system, so it can run the Google Android app for Onlive. The Ouya is also a better deal since it is also $99, but support offline apps, and games as well instead of online only apps and games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQgHvfgvxc

I read on the Onlive Forum page that it can run on a 1.5-3 MBps connection according to replies on http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?17-What-is-the-Minimum-Internet-Speed-for-OnLive

I think if you want a streaming console, using a PC or tablet, and a 3rd party controller to controll the game. You most likely already own a PC or can buy a used PC or tablet for less than $200 which can support Onlive, Gaikai, and other similar streaming game services instead of just getting an Online-only console.

The $199 Asus Google  Nexus 7 16GB tablet + PS3 controller would be a good online-only onlive alternative console since it can also play regular offline apps and games along with Onlive apps and games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSW1N7rtBw

I think that maybe would be on Next generator for sure, Microsoft is increasing about technologic stuff, and the rest of the world too

The PS4 will have Gaikai Cloud Gaming for it, and technically the PS3, Vita, and other devices can also have online streaming gaming via Gaikai since Gaikai was originally designed for playing games on low powered PC, Smart TV, and other devices with fast internet connections until Sony bought it.

I expect Microsoft will come out with something similar, or just buy Onlive or another cloud gaming company.

Really hard to say but honestly things are moving online so fast nowadays. It's my guess that it may be very soon, because I am studying physics and right now we can already confirm that things like virtual reality are going to be for sell pretty soon, by 2020 most likely. I kid you not, this century is going to be crazy!

There are still countries with not-so-great internet connections. I doubt any of the companies would want to lose market value for doing something like this. I believe it will take at least another 5-6 years before major companies decide to to make online only systems. Also, people should be able to enjoy their consoles without internet connection anyway. I have friends who take their consoles to their summer houses where they don't have internet. I definitely like the idea of cloud gaming, but a "cloud-only" system doesn't sound too good to me.

I don't think a always online DRM console should ever be supported, for one I have internet that would be fine for that with no real connection problems but, I wouldn't support something like Xbox One. I mean what's the point of having that freedom of playing single player games whenever without any requirements  taken away from you? Maybe when internet is more accessible than just for the lucky people who get more than 1Mb down will it be fair. 

When you can guarantee a 99.9% stable (and relatively speedy) Internet connection absolutely everywhere in the world.

And that won't be happening for a long time.

Jacotah said:
Really hard to say but honestly things are moving online so fast nowadays. It's my guess that it may be very soon, because I am studying physics and right now we can already confirm that things like virtual reality are going to be for sell pretty soon, by 2020 most likely. I kid you not, this century is going to be crazy!
Moore's Law, as a computer scientist, stops in the 2010s. But don't discount that architectural changes could propel for a bit longer, because Intel is so focused on Moore's Law for survival that it's simply the pivotal point of every other company to acquire smaller technology.

Architectural changes will make the difference soon.

fantanoice said:
When you can guarantee a 99.9% stable (and relatively speedy) Internet connection absolutely everywhere in the world.

And that won't be happening for a long time.
Well internet needs to become reliable as phone and electricity so it could happen in the next 20 years I say.

Unless companies want to ignore half the global market, I don't think we will see them for quite some time.  The fact is there are so many countries and impoverished areas in the United States that lack quality internet connection.  I grew up in a rural southern town and the only internet available for us was satellite.  For those of you that don't know, the ping and latency for satellite internet is TERRIBLE, not to mention the speeds are significantly slower than cable.  Yes, we are an increasingly technological society, but there are many people out there who don't have our luxuries, and I hope that segment will never be alienated.

Online Only Consoles may exist in towns, cities, and states with Google Fiber, or other form of affordable, and reliable broadband. According to the Onlive FAQ website you only need a 1.5-5 MBps connection : http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?17-What-is-the-Minimum-Internet-Speed-for-OnLive

But, I feel a cheap PC, tablet, or laptop would be better than a console since you don't need a disc drive, fast video card, or even a fast CPU, and a lot of RAM to stream video gameplay from an internet. You just mainly need a fast connection, and you can use a keyboard, or USB gamepad controller to control games.

Plus, most people already own a cheap PC, tablet, and laptop which they can hook up to their TV with a HDMI cable.

The $99 Ouya console is also capable of Streaming games with Nvidia Online Grid Straming, and Onlive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZQGuVHyAE

Back