Which games franchise do you enjoy playing more these days? The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario?

Which games franchise do you enjoy playing more these days?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Super Mario

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

NintendoRocks!!!

Awards
Credits
I said "these days" because, of course, when I was a kid, I preferred Super Mario.

Nowadays, however, I would have to say Zelda... although by only a very slight margin. There is something so epic, so spellbinding, so magical, so fantastical, so satisfying, and so grand about the Zelda games. And the story, the plot, is always interesting too.

But of course both franchises are my top favorites--it's just that, if forced to make a choice, I think I would pick Zelda these days!
smile.gif

What about you?

I've been playing a lot more Zelda. I love Mario and all, but I mostly love the main games. Not spin offs which is what most Mario games are. The last non spin off was Super Mario Galaxy 2... I think.

As for Zelda there really are no spin offs... Ok scratch that I see Phantom Hourglass as a spin off because
it was all a dream which is something I hate because it makes me feel like I didn't do anything or beat the game. Just go in a huge circle.
Plus there's always something different in the games that makes it good. Ocarina of Time had time travel, Majora's Mask had a 3 day time limit, Twilight Princess had wolf form, and Skyward Sword had bird flying. Which all makes the game fun. Well bird flying was fun at first, but then it got boring.

Of course Zelda has it dark side. Wind Waker, which, imo, is just a terrible game all together. Story wise, graphics wise, and mechanic wise. I mean the boat thing really sucked and I really hated it. It was too slow paced, it took forever to get to point A to point B and you had to sit and watch because the ocean was full of monsters that could kill you. Then there was the entire Triforce quest which was too long and too boring. I just hated everything about Wind Waker.

Then as I said Phantom Hourglass was bad too for the reason I said above. Plus I hated the controls for the DS because they were difficult to get used to. I mean I got used to them, but it still wasn't enough to make it fun. Plus the game was way too short and the only reason it seemed long was because of all the back tracking, which I hate back tracking, which is why I can't stand the Metroid series.

Spirit Tracks was better than Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass combined, but it's still not that good a game because of the same control scheme as in Phantom Hourglass. I mean the train was faser than both the King of Red Lions and the boat you had in PH, but I still don't like the thought of a "modernized" Zelda game.

Other than those 3 games, I think the Zelda series is much better than the Mario series is now and that's why I play Zelda more than Mario.

I have to say Zelda as well. Mario has more games out, but when you think about it, some of the games in the Mario series aren't all that polished. I quite honestly was disappointed by Super Mario 3D Land. It was a hyped-up game, and yet it got repetitive. The levels got old, and the fact you never get to actually fight Bowser, just run away until you hit the death button, REALLY annoyed me. You've never been utterly powerless against Bowser throughout the whole game. Sure, there are times in other games where you have to run away rather than fight, but you always eventually get to beat him up. That never happens in 3D Land. Also, the whole mini-boss setup with the not-quite-Koopaling people got old fast, especially because regardless of the arena you fight them in, they're way too easy. I love Mario a lot, but his most recent game was a huge disappointment.

Zelda, on the other hand, has never ceased to disappoint. While I agree with DYL that the "modernization" of Zelda in PH and ST was frustrating, as it makes no sense that they'd develop steam power without moving on from the Medieval era, and clearly they're still stuck there, so the concept is wrong from the beginning. However, I loved Wind Waker. I agree the sailing times took absolutely forever, but the rest of the game made up for it. The graphics were never an issue for me. So long as the graphics are good for the type of game I'm playing, I don't care if they're realistic or cartoony. Were TP's graphics better than WW? Absolutely. Were WW's graphics good for what they were trying to do with it? No doubt. The storylines are always amazing, and aside from Zelda II, I've never been disappointed by gameplay. Mario has its ups and downs, and while I love that series, Zelda is consistently amazing.

I still prefer Mario. I like the Zelda series, but I don't think I've ever been too disappointed by a new Mario game in recent history, whereas the latest Zelda games didn't interest me as much.

Zelda, although when I was younger I preferred mario more. I was 6 years old at the time when my brother bought A link to the Past. He let me try the game out and I couldn't get past the first dungeon. I was really dissappointed.

Mario games for me I think are getting too repetitive. They all have the same story but with different worlds. Zelda games however always have a new and unique story and adventure.

Then as I said Phantom Hourglass was bad too for the reason I said above. Plus I hated the controls for the DS because they were difficult to get used to. I mean I got used to them, but it still wasn't enough to make it fun. Plus the game was way too short and the only reason it seemed long was because of all the back tracking, which I hate back tracking, which is why I can't stand the Metroid series.

I think you're underestimating Phantom Hourglass. I am currently playing it--in fact, I am almost through--and I gotta say, I am very very impressed. WOW!!! This is truly one of the very best games on the DS. No wonder Famitsu gave it a perfect 40/40 score! While I am playing I couldn't believe how good it was (I was expecting a lot worse, for some reason), but I needn't have worried.

There is SOOOO much going on here, it's mind-boggling (but then that's not new when it comes to Zelda games). And I always loved setting sail after being trapped in the claustrophobic dungeons... such a liberating, wonderful feeling. And the treasure hunting, battling with Jolene, etc. were fun too.

That said, of course, it's not the best Zelda game, mainly because some of the puzzles were somewhat too easy. But that's its only main "flaw," really. Again, this is a very good entry, and I would rate it 9.5 out of 10.

Zelda, although when I was younger I preferred mario more. I was 6 years old at the time when my brother bought A link to the Past. He let me try the game out and I couldn't get past the first dungeon. I was really dissappointed.

I love Phantom Hourglass! Since I am playing it on my 3DS, I can tell exactly how long it took for me to finish it. Almost 45 hours!

Is that good or bad? I consider myself quite an experienced Zelda player, but I don't play Zelda games as fast as I possibly can! I like to explore the areas, visit and talk to the villagers, play mini games, etc. so it took me this long.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Zelda there really are no spin offs... Ok scratch that I see Phantom Hourglass as a spin off because
it was all a dream which is something I hate because it makes me feel like I didn't do anything or beat the game. Just go in a huge circle.

Psst.
The events in Link's Awakening were all a dream, too.
Just sayin'. That doesn't make it a spin-off.

Anyways, I love Mario and Zelda equally, though I think I still like Mario just a bit more because I was introduced to that series first.

Yeah I really was mad when I found out phantom hourglass was a dream. For some reason the "dream" concept worked better in Link's Awakening.

EDIT: at closer examination the ending of phantom hourglass kinda seemed liked the ending of narnia. I mean the crew denies that links adventure ever happened. So...

Yeah I really was mad when I found out phantom hourglass was a dream. For some reason the "dream" concept worked better in Link's Awakening.

EDIT: at closer examination the ending of phantom hourglass kinda seemed liked the ending of narnia. I mean the crew denies that links adventure ever happened. So...

Uh... Spoiler tags?

Psst.
The events in Link's Awakening were all a dream, too.
Just sayin'. That doesn't make it a spin-off.

Well, I have my own ideas about that...

The events in PH really happened! Remember, Link finds the Phantom Hourglass in his pocket after it's all over, and then spots Linebeck's ship. I think due to the influence of the hourglass, in the outside world, only 10 minutes have elapsed... but everything really happened, of course.

I really love Zelda games right now. I played Ocarina again and again and well... Again! I have both the wii and 64 ver.
My friend likes to come over and read the dialog in all kinds of different voices (she's good). The Zelda games always have a good story and can take you by surprise, plus I love the option to pick your own answers.
I love me some Zelda cartoon Link or non.

P.S. Why is there no TRIFORCE smiley/emote?

I do, and always have, preferred Mario. Fun fact though: I have the Zelda 3DS and a Zelda backpack. But maybe that's because I just like the designs. If a Yoshi 3DS ever comes out the Zelda one might just be pushed off the perch.

It came to me that both franchises complement each other perfectly.

Whenever I play Zelda for too many hours, I get the desire to go back to a Super Mario game, and vice versa. But generally, like I said, these days I slightly prefer Zelda games...

Back