Which Social Media is the Most Popular Among Gamers?

TIlenM

Credits
I’m trying to figure out, how to spread news about an indie game to as many gamers as we can, without spamming every freaking Social Media platform there is.

Though our team is still far from actually releasing the game, we figured it’s the right time to start thinking about where do we want to talk about our game. With the recent rise of popularity of Pinterest, Quora, Linkedin and so on, we are wondering if that’s where we should be as well, or will we just end up targeting the wrong audience? Naturally, we don’t want this to happen, so my question today is: Where would you most likely get news about upcoming games, and possibly even follow the development of a game you like?

Would that be Facebook? Twitter? Pinterest? Snapchat? LinkedIn? Instagram? Quora? Popular forum? Perhaps a developer’s website? Is there any other place I forgot and you think might be the right place to post for us? Please let me know in the comments. Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've re-read your TS, and now I see the reason you asked.
Sorry about that.

Basically, I indeed spread news on the social media I'm active on, as well as on YouTube, on forums I've been active on for quite a long time (doing so as a newcomer is a big no-no on most forums), of course on my company blog, to journalists directly that I have on the mailing list, and what always drives most traffic: GamesPress.

A former dev of ours posted on N4G as well, but I'm personally a bit concerned, reading how they handle many smaller outlets.
And then there's Reddit where it's very easy to spread the information on (and even easier to get hate comments).

I can tell you, lots of others would suggest you to switch away from the more traditional ways of spreading news in favour of social media.
But I would rather tell you to do both.
Yes, a vast majority of our target groups are on social media, but there are still quite some that oppose to those for pretty good reasons.

Bonus points: localise your information to more languages if you speak any.
Looking at how things went on YouTube in the past 11 years, I started out in Dutch, but once it became a team channel, we changed to English, and received lots of American traffic (which is enormous).
And now I'm applying a combination of English and Japanese, but that's more due to how our traffic has been slowly shifting from American majority to Japanese majority in the past 2 years, so I decided to slowly adapt to that.

I've re-read your TS, and now I see the reason you asked.
Sorry about that.

Basically, I indeed spread news on the social media I'm active on, as well as on YouTube, on forums I've been active on for quite a long time (doing so as a newcomer is a big no-no on most forums), of course on my company blog, to journalists directly that I have on the mailing list, and what always drives most traffic: GamesPress.

A former dev of ours posted on N4G as well, but I'm personally a bit concerned, reading how they handle many smaller outlets.
And then there's Reddit where it's very easy to spread the information on (and even easier to get hate comments).

I can tell you, lots of others would suggest you to switch away from the more traditional ways of spreading news in favour of social media.
But I would rather tell you to do both.
Yes, a vast majority of our target groups are on social media, but there are still quite some that oppose to those for pretty good reasons.

Bonus points: localise your information to more languages if you speak any.
Looking at how things went on YouTube in the past 11 years, I started out in Dutch, but once it became a team channel, we changed to English, and received lots of American traffic (which is enormous).
And now I'm applying a combination of English and Japanese, but that's more due to how our traffic has been slowly shifting from American majority to Japanese majority in the past 2 years, so I decided to slowly adapt to that.

Oh wow, thanks for that awesome reply and so many info! Awesome blog you have there, and kudos for your YT channel! I appreciate the help and I'll definitely take your instructions into account. :)

Discord seems to be doing pretty well at the moment. Quite a few gaming sites have basically moved their forums or chat rooms over to there, and almost every video game speedrunner seems to be active on it.

So if there's a relevant Discord chat your game could be advertised on, that could be a good choice.

You should also try and get popular YouTubers and Twitch streamers to play or mention your game at some point too. That seems to be behind a lot of recent viral success stories, like Cuphead.

Oh wow, thanks for that awesome reply and so many info! Awesome blog you have there, and kudos for your YT channel! I appreciate the help and I'll definitely take your instructions into account. :)
Thanks.
The entire CMS the site is running on is my own code as well.
I designed it in such a way that it's easier to manage than WordPress for example.
But after letting a few peeps work with it, they told me it still feels too technical nonetheless.

Back