Who else misses completely 2D games? (Nintendo taken 3D too far)

Mother/EarthBound Collection

Greatest Mother/EarthBound Fan & Influencer
Awards
Credits
We have not seen a game on Nintendo systems that is completely 2D since SNES. Sure we see platformers with 2D levels, but the character is 3D (like New Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi games.

While console wise we have not seen completely 2D games since SNES, for handhelds, we have not seen nothing but 2D since the GBA era.

Hell even A Link Between worlds is based off of a SNES game, but yet Link is in 3D form, good god, it's clear Nintendo has gotten carried away with this crap. I mean everybody agrres SNES is the best system ever, or at least one of them. The 2D graphics were amazing, but even 2D video game animation has had to have advanced in technology since 1996!

So who else misses games where literally EVERYTHING is 2D?

Welcome to the future. 2D is great and I miss it, but I guess 3D is the future and that's how it will stay. I'd love a full 2D game, but it may not happen any more.

I think keeping 2D as a thing in the past is what makes the nostalgia for it so powerful.

Besides, 2D games have the power to live through flash games on the internet (and there are some good ones too, Monolith's Mario for example).

I think keeping 2D as a thing in the past is what makes the nostalgia for it so powerful.
Besides, 2D games have the power to live through flash games on the internet (and there are some good ones too, Monolith's Mario for example).

I agree with this. I love 2D games as well, but luckily there are still used console and virtual console for when I have the urge to play them.

I miss them. Probably because we've never, ever had a 2D Mario game which truly used 2D sprite graphics to the fullest potential. Super Mario World? Came out too early and hence didn't even do hardly anything with the SNES' graphics/music capabilities. Yoshi's Island? Not a traditional Mario game.

We still need a 2D Mario game with the graphics/music work/quality of Kirby Super Star, Yoshi's Island, Wario Land 4 and other such titles.

I enjoy the 2D games, but I don't think Nintendo has 'taken 3D too far'. Sprites are neat, yes, but the 3D aspects of their recent 2D style games look great to me. I think it adds some visual intrigue that you can't always get with sprites. More games in the style of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D would be great. I am disappointed in the art style that Yoshi's New Island has taken though...

I don't see what the big deal is. 3D sprites look fine in a 2D Mario game. It's not like it's making the games worse in any way.

I agree I love 2D games hell I bought NES but as much as I hate to admit it but I like 3D games as well. I wish they could mix them together and make 2 and a half D but they keep on going forward and get carried away in the process I bet they're making a 4D game system as we speak. I wish there was some game company that still made real retro games. I agree with NessSmash bring the retro back!!! Who's with us!?!

Back