Why are the third cover legendaries in the recent games so weak?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I mean, I never got this. Back in gen 3, we had Grouden, Kyogre and Rayquaza. All three are ridiculously powerful to the point they get put into Ubers over at Smogon.

Then in gen 4, we get Dialga, Palkia and Girantina. All three are ridiculously strong, also end up in Ubers.

But from gen 5, it seems the third main 'cover mascots' are getting much weaker. Kyurem ends up in the Borderline tier, midway between Underused and Overused, and is seemingly weaker than the likes of Tyranitar or Metagross. It's forms are then either Ubers or merely just Overused, and not particularly strong examples of either at that.

And now in gen 6, Zygarde is literally 80 points weaker than Xerneas and Yveltal in base stats and seen as kind of useless. What gives?

Why is Game Freak making the latest extra cover legendaries kind of weak compared to the main two?

The answer is simple. Either a Mega Evolution is on the way or some sort of alternate form.

The answer is simple. Either a Mega Evolution is on the way or some sort of alternate form.

Or because with the edition of the open EV system they assume the game will have more fans interested in competitive play and want to make it so almost any pokémon can be used in tournaments. What I mean is, if they lessen the legendaries over the next couple of installments at this rate they have then they may be able to allow all pokémon into tournaments without people going "i can't use my favorite so forget it".

That's possible. Indeed, I'd find it pretty interesting if it turned out Zygarde was only one of the cover mascots for the sequels, with his new form being one featured Pokemon and a brand new legendary for the other.

Or because with the edition of the open EV system they assume the game will have more fans interested in competitive play and want to make it so almost any pokémon can be used in tournaments. What I mean is, if they lessen the legendaries over the next couple of installments at this rate they have then they may be able to allow all pokémon into tournaments without people going "i can't use my favorite so forget it".

Unlikely, because of a few not so minor things.

Like:

MegaMewtwoX.jpg

Mewtwoform2.png

Mega Mewtwo forms. Introduced in gen 6. Have higher base stats than Arceus, considered Pokemon world GOD.

They also introduced such stuff as Xerneas (who people fear could be damn near unstoppable in Ubers) and Yveltal, who can restore 75%+ of the damage done by his signature attack and has similarly high stats.

That's possible. Indeed, I'd find it pretty interesting if it turned out Zygarde was only one of the cover mascots for the sequels, with his new form being one featured Pokemon and a brand new legendary for the other.

Like:

MegaMewtwoX.jpg

Mewtwoform2.png

Mega Mewtwo forms. Introduced in gen 6. Have higher base stats than Arceus, considered Pokemon world GOD.

They also introduced such stuff as Xerneas (who people fear could be damn near unstoppable in Ubers) and Yveltal, who can restore 75%+ of the damage done by his signature attack and has similarly high stats.

I have the above mentioned ones in my game. They aren't as strong as people make them out to be,. Mega Stones do not help THAT much. People are easily excitable - like lemmings. I hear Xerneas is a beast but he goes down very easily so I've never been hit by him to know and mine does less damage than my sylveons.

I mean, I never got this. Back in gen 3, we had Grouden, Kyogre and Rayquaza. All three are ridiculously powerful to the point they get put into Ubers over at Smogon.

Then in gen 4, we get Dialga, Palkia and Girantina. All three are ridiculously strong, also end up in Ubers.

But from gen 5, it seems the third main 'cover mascots' are getting much weaker. Kyurem ends up in the Borderline tier, midway between Underused and Overused, and is seemingly weaker than the likes of Tyranitar or Metagross. It's forms are then either Ubers or merely just Overused, and not particularly strong examples of either at that.

And now in gen 6, Zygarde is literally 80 points weaker than Xerneas and Yveltal in base stats and seen as kind of useless. What gives?

Why is Game Freak making the latest extra cover legendaries kind of weak compared to the main two?

*cough* black/white kyurem *cough* almost as strong as arceus *cough*

Like:

MegaMewtwoX.jpg

Mewtwoform2.png

I have the above mentioned ones in my game. They aren't as strong as people make them out to be,. Mega Stones do not help THAT much. People are easily excitable - like lemmings. I hear Xerneas is a beast but he goes down very easily so I've never been hit by him to know and mine does less damage than my sylveons.

Perhaps, but you also have to consider typing. Fairy is quite awkward as it resits fire, dragon, and a couple of other major types, but its only weaknesses are steel and poison, which you don't see too often.

Perhaps, but you also have to consider typing. Fairy is quite awkward as it resits fire, dragon, and a couple of other major types, but its only weaknesses are steel and poison, which you don't see too often.

Ghost massacres fairy, jsyk. My sylveon has Spirit Ball and I can OHKO almost any fairy with it.

Like:

MegaMewtwoX.jpg

Mewtwoform2.png

Poison doesn't have many strong Pkemon at all, or legendaries, and steel has pretty uncommon legendaries.

I think we'll see event pokemon in the future. Since we can't action replay to get ahead of nintendo for the knowledge of future event pokemon (yet) I guess we'll just have to sit back and wait. I'm sure we'll see some dynamic pokemon that is really powerful.

Back