Why are YouTube members called YouTubers compared to other video sites where users are called member

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the term YouTuber is mostly use by younger internet users. I guest YouTube members are called YouTubers because people think it sounds cooler, or people are too lazy to type YouTube Member.

But, I notice people rarely call members on other video sites Vimeoer, Dailymotioners, Bliper, or Metacafer, and they are typically called members, content creators, and video creators.

I think it is a matter of Youtube being more popular and also the fact that Youtube has been used as both a noun and a verb.

For instance, to Google something, means to use or search Google.

A Googler, is one who Googles.

It is the same as a baker being a one who bakes, or a racer, being one who races. etc.

Youtube, in essence, would be no different in this regard.

I've heard people use "Youtube" and "Youtubing" as both a noun and a verb on many occasions and so, using the word "Youtuber" is a natural progression from that.

It is the popularity of the place that I think the term was invented from. I would not say it was because they were younger or anything like that. Just something that caught on because of it's popularity. 

Back