Why aren't more durable rugged smartphones more popular like less durable phones like iPhone?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I feel durable rugged smartphones are less popular than the iPhone is because people don't want to switch to Google Android smartphone makers which makes phones which can survive drops to the floor.

Some rugged phones may look too tough because of the hard plastic shell, so people who don't want to appear tough may rather pick a more friendly looking phone like the iPhone, and Samsung Galaxy S7.

More durable phones also cost more than a similar phone, and people may want to spend the money on a hard protective case, and glass or plastic screen protector made of durable glass like Gorilla Glass.

Some workplaces like a bank or office may have a dress code where you can't wear casual clothes, and are only allowed to wear suits and business clothes. The work dress code may ban the use of rugged and tough looking smartphones with a very manly appearance because the case looks like a construction tool, or military gear.

Most likely due to size or look. My Note 4 is uncomfortably and oddly large but damn it can take a beating.

Most likely due to size or look. My Note 4 is uncomfortably and oddly large but damn it can take a beating.

I think the size of some rugged and more durable smartphones are not much bigger than a regular smartphone.

Rugged phones maybe smaller than a smartphone with a plastic protective case over it because the casing on the rugged phone is physically installed on the phone by using screws to screw in the casing to the back and front of the case.

I agree, the look of more durable rugged smartphones is not for everyone since they look like it was made for using in a construction site, woods, the dessert, and off road trucking.

I think people don't like to express themself by using unique looking electronics these days, so plain looking smartphones, laptops, and tablets, and protective phone cases are popular with many users.

Well, because of the look and such.
Rugged smart phones look ...well differently and not everyone would like to have them. So that might be a reason too.

Well, because of the look and such.
Rugged smart phones look ...well differently and not everyone would like to have them. So that might be a reason too.

I bet, if Smartphone makers spend more money on using stronger materials like solid steel, hard wood, shock absorbing plastics, and a more durable glass screen, the phone can still look attractive to look at, and will be less likely to break when the phone owner drop them on a hard floor which is made of wood, or cement.

I feel most phone makers want to earn more money by using thin metal and plastics, and glass screens which cost less to make, buy, and install on a modern phone.

Old flip phones, and rectangle shaped cell phones are thin and light, but most of them can survive being dropped from a many feet off the ground, thrown on the ground, and sat on by a heavier adult.

Back