Why did Blackberry give up while Microsoft is still trying?

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Why do you think that Blackberry gave up on their operating system while Microsoft is still trying to survive on the mobile market by still producing Windows (Phone) 10 smartphones and tablets?

This is a good question and one I feel we may never know the answer to if I am honest. Microsoft aren't one of the greatest companies if I am honest when it comes to phones. I had a Nokia Lumia 630 for a while and couldn't wait to get rid and go back to Android.

I felt Blackberry switched to Android for its latest phones because there is not much demand for the BB10 operating system, so they think releasing Androids phones will be more profitable.

There are also more apps, and games for Android than BB10.

because there is not much demand for the BB10 operating system, so they think releasing Androids phones will be more profitable.
They were wrong. Their Android phones are expensive and don't seem to be selling well.

They were wrong. Their Android phones are expensive and don't seem to be selling well.

Buyers can get a unlocked Blackberry Priv Android smartphone for around $350 on Amazon, so it is about the same price as other unlocked smartphones from other brands which sells expensive smartphones. The Priv is cheaper than the iPhone SE which cost $499 for the 16GB version.

But, the Priv does not seem to be selling well because Blackberry did not advertise it very much, and there are cheaper alternatives smartphones, and smartphones from more popular Android brands like Samsung, LG, and Motorola.

Most likely why I'm still trying with forums while thousands of others have quit :p

Why do you think that Blackberry gave up on their operating system while Microsoft is still trying to survive on the mobile market by still producing Windows (Phone) 10 smartphones and tablets?

Microsoft has a lot more money to waste. Also as others said, Blackberry dumped their own OS and just went with a skinned Android.

I read on a tech blog that Blackberry is now mostly a software company, and they are no longer making operating systems, and hardware. Their new phones are now designed and produce by TCL which is a Chinese phone maker.

I think Blackberry feels they can earn more money in software, apps, and licensing their brand to TCL for making third-party Blackberry phones.

Also as others said, Blackberry dumped their own OS and just went with a skinned Android.
That was a big mistake in my opinion. You don't just abandon an OS that has been so popular for a decade.

That was a big mistake in my opinion. You don't just abandon an OS that has been so popular for a decade.

I think Blackberry 10 still have security and stability updates, so it is not totally abandoned.

Back