Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gf9mtXnJfM

The game never started till I did it, I think games back then had fetishes >_>

The only thing I can think of it made moisture on the contact and gave the game a better connection. I didn't blow on every game but I did have some games that wouldn't play unless you blew on them LOL.

Greg

That was very interesting. Until now I honestly thought that it had at least some effect but I guess it has more to do with the multiple tries than the blowing itself. It is still kind of amazing how this became a worldwide behavior despite the lack of international communication back then, though.

Ashton said:
That was very interesting. Until now I honestly thought that it had at least some effect but I guess it has more to do with the multiple tries than the blowing itself. It is still kind of amazing how this became a worldwide behavior despite the lack of international communication back then, though.
Just like everything in the 90s. Its pretty amazing how something so simple can spread across the world like fire. I wonder where it started and who thought of it.

Haha, I think everyone had their own unique method to get Nintendo games working. It was never JUST blowing it was a combination of a variety of things. I remember no one could figure out how to get my Nintendo working and subsequently every time I went to my friends I couldn't get theirs. It's almost like having a special password for each machine, lol.

In my case, I had to blow, smack the top of the machine 4 times or so, push the game in and down, do that like 3 times, then hit power and hold reset. Kind of comical when you imagine a system like that being released today.

Whoa I thought that it was only me that had to go through that headache. I remember when me and my friends would come together to play some games and then we would spend almost the whole night just blowing on the games doing our best to get them to work and like you said it was so funny because it really felt like there were some games that just didnt work unless you took some time to blow on them. Good times good times.

I didn't get much from the video other than that inserting and re-inserting the cartridge to get it to work was just randomness in play.

The NES I have works fine with most of the games, ut I do remember having a time trying to get my used copy of Mega Man 1 to work.

Blowing on them actually damaged them, there's a good blog post on this somewhere including photos of a cartridge that was blown on and one that wasn't. Overtime the saliva build up damaged the metal contacts.

I do find it really weird to be honest.
I just got told it worked and i started to believe it so i used to do it all the times and it normally worked.
Even did it on discs sometimes xD

Have some SNES games I've done this to. We also had this cleaning kit we bought that sometimes did the trick. Wore the cleaning brush out after a while. Still, I always thought I was blowing away dust too.

It got rid of the dust down in the game which would help the game play in the nintendo better. That is what I know because my grand mother still has one and she said that's what you do to get the game to work correctly. 

I remember so many times doing this if the game would not play :) it got to the point where it would be a routine thing for me to blow the cartridge before I put it into the console to ensure it would work. I was always on the understanding that it was because dust had collected in the cartridge and blowing it would clear all that but there may be other reasons it worked as well I would imagine.

Back