Why don't they remake FFVIII?

Drake

Full GL Member
Credits
Final Fantasy VIII is probably the best FF game to come out for the PS1. I'm sure a lot of people have played that game and a lot of people would like to see a remake. Instead, they made a remake of a more recent game - FFX. Why doesn't Square remake FFVIII? I think it would be financially feasible. What do you think?

I never did like FF 8, maybe due to it's heavy love storyline, turning magic into items or the fact it's confusing storyline.

I think a FF 7 and 9 remake is higher on fan's list right now.

I agree that the magic system was one of the worst ideas that Square came up with. Drawing magic from enemies became boring fast. However, it doesn't mean that they have to incorporate it into the remake right? They could modify it and make it better.

Oh and I think FFVII is overrated. I think it got a lot of attention because it was the first 3D FF game.

I found the gameplay of it kinda tedious. The need to farm all those... whatever they were that you had to gather from enemies, and the fact that I think you needed to be maxed out in pretty much everything to beat the last boss. I know I'm not the only one who found these aspects to be annoying, and I was under the impression FFVIII was the least popular one on the PS1 (though I could be wrong there). They also went a little crazy with the cutscenes, I thought. That said, a remake might be cool if they could fix some of the issues with the game.

They remade FFX? I thought that was terrible. I usually fall hook, line, and sinker for pretty graphics but when Yuna was kidnapped during the blitzball game I just gave up and didn't finish it. I was told "Too bad, you missed a really great game" but if it were a really great game then Yuna would have saved her own expletive self. It wasn't only so bad that I didn't finish it, it was so bad that I could barely stand or bear to get to the middle. Apparently all the wasted time hammers in some existentialist thing about how the main character whose name I don't really remember is a dream and doesn't really exist but all I can think of when I hear that is how much time I saved because that's the worst sort of ending.

FFVIII? Ehh... maybe an Advent Children style animated feature-length film. I don't have as much vitriol for FFVIII as I do for FFX, I was at least able to finish it, and could appreciate some parts...but it just wasn't my favorite. I'd watch the cutscenes again, but I wouldn't play it again.

They released FF8 on Steam with updated (but still not great) graphics. You might have to make due with that.

Out of all of the PS1 era Final Fantasies, 8 is probably the one that is liked the least. While I personally enjoyed the game, I can understand why SquareEnix probably won't give the game the full fledged remake treatment. Also, I believe remaking FFX was probably a lot easier and less expensive than it would be to remake the PS1 games, as all they had to with the game is update some textures and character models. PS1 games would need much more work to modernize them.

I was a huge fan of FF8 myself, 7 was much better. But as Elly pointed out they remade X which was ok but not great.

How can you guys not love a game on the PS1 that featured an intense gunblade fight sequence as an intro, a full-fledged dance sequence featuring the two lead characters, large in-game character designs, a flying garden, superb card game, a hot sorceress, and even a scene in space?
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGaYh8mRuM[/video]

I'm a fan of FF8 and I wonder this myself too sometimes. I think it's because the graphics aren't advanced enough to make it easy to remaster, though, but I'm not entirely sure that it's the reason. I just read it being brought up in another discussion I saw online and I thought the argument made sense. Nonetheless, I'd still love to see it in widescreen someday and I'll definitely play through it again once that happens.

Ashton said:
I'm a fan of FF8 and I wonder this myself too sometimes. I think it's because the graphics aren't advanced enough to make it easy to remaster, though, but I'm not entirely sure that it's the reason. I just read it being brought up in another discussion I saw online and I thought the argument made sense. Nonetheless, I'd still love to see it in widescreen someday and I'll definitely play through it again once that happens.

Whew! Finally! Somebody agrees with me regarding FF8! Even if it would be hard to remake FF8 to current generation graphics, I think it would be worth it for Square because I'm sure that FF fanatics (regardless if they liked FF8 before or not) would purchase the game. Also, I want to see the combat in FF8 be modified into something like Rogue Galaxy and become an action RPG. It would work really well considering Squall uses a GunBlade.

Drake said:
How can you guys not love a game on the PS1 that featured an intense gunblade fight sequence as an intro, a full-fledged dance sequence featuring the two lead characters, large in-game character designs, a flying garden, superb card game, a hot sorceress, and even a scene in space?

Like I said, I'd watch it so hard if they made an Advent Children style movie for it. I just thought the gameplay was sticky--the story was epic, but that made it stickier as a game with all the plot cul-de-sacs and past life regressions or something that were interesting as a concept but not really executed all that well. And what can I say? I'm a fantasy fan, as in, pseudo-historical fantasy.

I did like the dance sequence, though. And the flying school. The flying school part was awesome. Okay, so I like me some mecha. And I might have learned to knit just so I could have Rinoa's blue long-train cardigan thingy in my size.

Personally, I would in no way be disappointed if they decided to stop the production line of utter tripe that they are coming out with recently, and go back and re-make the originals. 

I had the joy of playing FFVII and FFVIII, and would have my wallet out at the ready even if there was a glimpse of a remake coming out for the newer consoles. They were amazing games, and to play them with new graphics is an opportunity that wets my pallet. Although there is that chance that it just won't be the same, just won't have that nostalgia feel to it but worth a shot

Elly said:
They remade FFX? I thought that was terrible. I usually fall hook, line, and sinker for pretty graphics but when Yuna was kidnapped during the blitzball game I just gave up and didn't finish it. I was told "Too bad, you missed a really great game" but if it were a really great game then Yuna would have saved her own expletive self. It wasn't only so bad that I didn't finish it, it was so bad that I could barely stand or bear to get to the middle. Apparently all the wasted time hammers in some existentialist thing about how the main character whose name I don't really remember is a dream and doesn't really exist but all I can think of when I hear that is how much time I saved because that's the worst sort of ending.
So... why is Yuna getting kidnapped such a deal breaker for you? I mean people get kidnapped in games all the time - men, women, children... all the time. I guess I just don't get it - but then I liked it pretty well once I got a copy that actually freaking functioned. That's what I get for buying used, although at least I was able to return it for a different one until I got one that worked.

Esperahol said:
So... why is Yuna getting kidnapped such a deal breaker for you?
Because she can summon superpowered monsters from some extrdimensional plane. It was mostly the timing of it. It isn't that I'd never play a video game that had a damsel in distress (especially not if there were some other female characters hanging around with agency and powers or something interesting,) it was that I was already bored and irritated from having to wrangle with a ball game that isn't all that cool, in a fantasy world with settings that kept changing too fast for me to be curious about where I am, and then introduces me to characters that are just there until they're not and the voice acting was so annoying...

(pant pant breathe)

...and then that happens, and it's just the point in time or in the game events at which I decided that I didn't care, I couldn't care anymore. And instead of a story event that I wanted to get to the other side of... saving Yuna became just another chore, and I was just like, I'm not here for this! I'm here for fun! I'm here for story! I'm here for characters to love! Forget you all.

But I'm off topic. I didn't actually get irritated with FFVIII until the "GF wipes our memories" thing, and that was only a mild irritation because that plot twist wasn't built up at all and made no sense. I could brush it off because the rest of the story was more or less solid. It was fine when Rinoa needed rescuing because I got the sense that there was slightly more to Rinoa than that, "thing to be rescued and look pretty in Squall's rescuing arms". With FFX, at the point that I got impatient with the character and the game, Yuna was just blah.

Back