Why Games as Service are a Horrible Idea

GR News

Feed Poster
Awards
Credits
Earlier this week, Google announced Stadia, a streaming game service where you can play games by streaming them from Google’s servers across the internet. It was a bold move from the tech giant, given the competitive nature of today’s video game industry, but also one that could theoretically pay off should Google replace Sony, Microsoft, […]
Source

Continue reading...

Good article, but the link to the speed test is broken btw.

I will pretty much never support an online only service so long as it also doesn't support offline. Even if I am forced to, I promise you I will have a offline device right next to it which may end up getting more of my time.

I feel one of the problems of streaming games is that some games may shutdown forever if the service is shutdown, or the game maker decide to unpublish the game. Users also cant backup games like game ROMS for the NES.

Maybe in the far future, this will be the norm. But for now, I'm not really interested in games as a service at all especially if I have to keep paying a monthly price to play the games I have.

Netflix is also leaning on a lot of debt:
Netflix is burning through cash. This can't last forever - CNN

Wall Street doesn't seem to mind. Netflix keeps rapidly adding customers and revenue continues to climb sharply. By spending gobs of money and borrowing aggressively, Netflix has built a formidable moat around its business that will make it harder for new and existing rivals to catch up.
But Netflix can't burn that kind of cash forever, especially if market turbulence limits the ability of debt-laden companies to tap the junk bond market.
"It's not sustainable," Neil Begley, Moody's senior vice president, told CNN Business.

Bloomberg -- How Netflix Could Eventually Stop Losing Money

Buzzy original thrillers like “Bird Box,” or choose-your-own-adventure gambits like “Bandersnatch” aren’t cheap. And as Netflix’s public profile has climbed, so have its losses. Analysts predict that the company will report about $3 billion in negative cash flow for 2018, up from $2 billion in the previous year. Fans of wildly expensive, high-quality television should hope the company can figure out its balance sheet.

The most obvious solution is for Netflix to just continue to increase the number of people who subscribe to its video-streaming service. Its core growth strategy has paid off so far. And recently, the company has taken on a more global focus, creating content for countries all over the world. As part of this approach, it could also further increase the price of a subscription.

Back