Will bulletproof cars be more popular in North America like in Brazil?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
There is a chance that more people are willing to buy a more expensive safer car which is bulletproof if the government is having a hard time capturing criminals who use guns to commit crimes like armed robber and auto theft with a gun on the street.

There are people who are willing to pay extra money to protect themselves, and the people in their car.

I watch an online video that says Brazil citizens are buying bulletproof cars, and the cars which are bulletproof are more affordable cars made by Hyundai and Toyota.

Brazil's Bulletproof Car Industry Booming

"Despite the boost from the World Cup, Brazil's economy may be showing signs of slowing. But there's one industry that's defying the downward trend.
Unfortunately the sector thrives when crime and violence are on the upswing."

I'm honestly surprise they already aren't.

I'm honestly surprise they already aren't.

I am also surprise that Bulletproof cars are not more popular in US and Canada since there are many news stories of people getting shot in their car. I feel most people in North America feel they are unlikely to be a victim of violent gun crime, so they don't learn to protect themselves from gun crimes by learning to use a gun, wearing a bulletproof vest and driving a bulletproof car.

Bulletproof cars are popular in Mexico because of gang violence and kidnapping where guns are used to commit violent crimes according to https://jalopnik.com/rich-people-in-mexico-and-brazil-cant-get-enough-armore-1827142546 .

Many people care for their safety more.
Bulletproof cars will be popular in the future and not just in some specific country
That's what I believe.

Many people care for their safety more.
Bulletproof cars will be popular in the future and not just in some specific country
That's what I believe.

I also feel many people will care about their safety more, and want to ride in a bulletproof car by driving a bulletproof car or riding in a taxi or bus which is bulletproof when traveling on the roads where encountering criminals with a gun may become more common when technology makes it easier for people to make their own guns, and buying guns online without a gun license.

I feel car related gun crimes like car robbery with a gun will be more common in many countries now that more people can make their own guns with tools like 3D Printers which are becoming more affordable and easier to use. There are still many old antique guns from World War 1 and 2, and lower quality homemade guns made of homemade gun parts like a metal pipe and small hammer to hit the bullet which can still kill people.

Even if you could armour your vehicle there are reasons you might not want to. Namely the extra weight to add armour means your fuel mileage is going to drop. I mean to protect a vehicle from rifles you need to use something like AR500 steel which weighs about 15lbs per square foot. And you need roughly 10 feet in length by 3 feet high to do one side of the doors/passenger area. (Plus you need some bullet resistance glass which is stupidly heavy too.) So overall about an extra 1100 pounds to do the whole car with AR500 steel. That doesn't include driver or passengers either which add even more weight. But you're not done there because you have to beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight. Possibly upgrade the engine to handle it too. The doors also need extra hinges/support to keep them from drooping due to the weight. And you still have to make sure the windshield and rear window are replaced with bullet resistant glass or else you're not going to do very well (so even more weight).

Here's the thing though... Over the last 20 years violent crime has actually been decreasing in Canada and the USA. You are less likely now to be attacked than ever before. It doesn't seem like that however because the media loves to play up violent attacks. They can use tragedies like school shootings or attacks as fodder for days. They also love showing gang related activity and using that to make things seem more violent. (Though if you're not involved in gangs, you're generally pretty safe.)
Does this mean don't take precautions? No. But take ones that make sense. Spending huge amounts of money to armour your vehicle and then fuel it when the chances of being attacked that way are pretty slim is likely not worth it. If you're going to be attacked it's more likely you're going to be attacked when you're waiting at a bus stop or after having used an ATM.

Instead I just recommend paying attention to your surroundings. Don't keep your head down, buried in your phone. See who's around and what they're up to. Someone who is purposefully avoiding eye contact and is loitering near an ATM? Don't use the ATM. Go to another one. Why risk getting jumped if you don't have to.

Even if you could armour your vehicle there are reasons you might not want to. Namely the extra weight to add armour means your fuel mileage is going to drop. I mean to protect a vehicle from rifles you need to use something like AR500 steel which weighs about 15lbs per square foot. And you need roughly 10 feet in length by 3 feet high to do one side of the doors/passenger area. (Plus you need some bullet resistance glass which is stupidly heavy too.) So overall about an extra 1100 pounds to do the whole car with AR500 steel. That doesn't include driver or passengers either which add even more weight. But you're not done there because you have to beef up the suspension to handle the extra weight. Possibly upgrade the engine to handle it too. The doors also need extra hinges/support to keep them from drooping due to the weight. And you still have to make sure the windshield and rear window are replaced with bullet resistant glass or else you're not going to do very well (so even more weight).

Here's the thing though... Over the last 20 years violent crime has actually been decreasing in Canada and the USA. You are less likely now to be attacked than ever before. It doesn't seem like that however because the media loves to play up violent attacks. They can use tragedies like school shootings or attacks as fodder for days. They also love showing gang related activity and using that to make things seem more violent. (Though if you're not involved in gangs, you're generally pretty safe.)
Does this mean don't take precautions? No. But take ones that make sense. Spending huge amounts of money to armour your vehicle and then fuel it when the chances of being attacked that way are pretty slim is likely not worth it. If you're going to be attacked it's more likely you're going to be attacked when you're waiting at a bus stop or after having used an ATM.

Instead I just recommend paying attention to your surroundings. Don't keep your head down, buried in your phone. See who's around and what they're up to. Someone who is purposefully avoiding eye contact and is loitering near an ATM? Don't use the ATM. Go to another one. Why risk getting jumped if you don't have to.

If BA was active here though she be going into a rant about skin color now :p

I also feel many people will care about their safety more, and want to ride in a bulletproof car by driving a bulletproof car or riding in a taxi or bus which is bulletproof when traveling on the roads where encountering criminals with a gun may become more common when technology makes it easier for people to make their own guns, and buying guns online without a gun license.

I feel car related gun crimes like car robbery with a gun will be more common in many countries now that more people can make their own guns with tools like 3D Printers which are becoming more affordable and easier to use. There are still many old antique guns from World War 1 and 2, and lower quality homemade guns made of homemade gun parts like a metal pipe and small hammer to hit the bullet which can still kill people.
I never thought of using 3D printers for making guns before but for people that might be a very good news as well as bad news.
Of course the quality differs and everyone can have a firearm to protect themselves but why did anyone need a good? I wish a world where there are no guns

I never thought of using 3D printers for making guns before but for people that might be a very good news as well as bad news.
Of course the quality differs and everyone can have a firearm to protect themselves but why did anyone need a good? I wish a world where there are no guns

I think some 3D printed guns are better quality than cheap guns sold by criminals who may sell cheap poorer quality guns which are sold for more affordable prices, so the criminals can make more money, and more criminals can afford them.

Bulletproof cars will probably still be popular with rich people, gangsters, celebrities, and politicians who been threatened with violence by a stranger and a criminal like a terrorist.

Some people rent a Bulletproof car and hire a guard, and driver to transport a lot of gold, money, antiques, and jewelry to a safety deposit box at their local bank.

Criminals actually can and do make some very advanced guns. There was a case in Montreal not too long ago where a factory owner got charged for making Tec9s and suppressors (both prohibited in Canada). The guns were actually high quality (not like Sig Sauer or Heckler und Koch quality mind you). Most times you hear of bad quality guns it's someone trying to improvise one at the last second using some pipes and a nail. Though even then I'd rather chance shooting a pipe/nail combo over a 3D printed one since the 3D printed could explode in hand far easier. (People may not realise this but the chambers in firearms have to be able to take over 30,000 PSI, albeit for very brief times, but still have to be able to withstand that kind of force. 3D printed materials rarely, if ever, can handle that kind of force. For a kind of comparison, the PSI in your car's tires are usually 30-35, maybe 40-50 for light truck, 100 for larger trucks.)

Though for the most part criminals would prefer to steal guns from law-abiding citizens, gun stores or use straw purchases rather than have to make their own. Though in Canada most of our illegal guns are actually ones smuggled into the country from the USA. (Possibly ones used in other crimes already, this way if they get caught/destroyed then who cares. And if they get used here they won't be connected back to anything that happened in the USA since the police databases don't talk to each other.)

And again, the average person doing an average job doesn't really need to worry about armouring their vehicle to withstand an attack. The average person is unlikely to be transporting any amount of liability to make it worth attacking the vehicle for. They also aren't likely to be transporting an VIPs either. So for the most part their chances of being targets are low. Again, just use common sense. Don't go into areas with people you don't know and flash your money. Don't brag about how much you make. Don't purposefully draw attention to yourself or your vehicle and you'll be better off.

Like D_S mentioned, I'm kind of surprised this already isn't a thing in North America. There may be some rich people in North America that may already own a bulletproof car and I just don't know about it. But as far as normal citizens actually getting one, I'm surprised they are trying to get them because of all the shootings going on these days.

Back