Will E3 still matter say five years from now?

thepieeatingjay

Awards
Credits
I for one loved E3 this year. It was more enjoyable that quite a few E3's past. But I can't help wonder if E3 will even matter in the years to come.

Taken the fact that other gaming shows like Gamescon, Pax, and Tokyo Game Show are growing in importance, we have things like Sony's PSX and Nintendo's Directs. Not to mention Microsoft is considering  restarting their own gaming event.

So this all begs the question, will E3 have the same level of importance in the years to come?

Not really, maybe? hard to say, I know Nintendo has started a trend of online revealings that will take hold in another year. I think E3 will just become a place where people can come together to demo games instead of just listening to reveals.

Yeah I think E3 will still be a thing and I don't think it will die out anytime soon. E3 is THE event to show off games at, just like the Farnborough or Paris airshows are events to show off new aircraft, and just like the Detroit motorshow is a place to showcase new cars.

The only thing that might question E3s place is if computer games and gaming starts to drop in popularity drastically.

I don't see E3 disappearing any time soon... though online reveals have been growing in popularity, and there are other gaming conventions that are more widely available to the public, E3 has that sort of exclusivity in that it's for people in the gaming world. The biggest reveals are normally saved for just this.

As for the other conventions, like PAX, well, they're very good for indie game developers, but the presence of the big 'uns is not nearly as large as it is during E3. E3 is all theirs!

I think E3 is here to stay, even if it's going to have competitors. At the moment the convention is building a lot of hype before the release of some games and while it isn't widely available I still think it won't be put down that easily.
Other companies will have to be innovative if they want to clinch the top spot from E3.

Right now E3 seems like the event to announce new games with each of the top company's fighting to be number one and draw the most attention to their products.  This will probably remain that way for a while until it either becomes stale or the company's start running out of things to generate hype about. 

I think it will still be important for playable demos but it seems like less and less is getting reveled there and more so getting revealed in the weeks before. Therefore I think the importance will change but it will still be important.

I'm guessing that other companies will start following Nintendo in term sof presenting to their main fan base. I think the one part of E3 that is tough to replicate is the demos. COmpanies can always distribute demos digitally, but then they lose the control that they gain from having the games at E3 wher ethey can make sure people are only seeing what they want them to see.

Back