Will MicroSD cards ever be replaced by a smaller external memory card for Smartphones/tablets?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think there is a chance that memory card maker will make smaller physical size memory card to replace MicroSD cards for external storage on phones and tablets. Memory card and phone makers can save money by using a smaller size storage chip, less plastic, metal, and other materials to build a smaller size memory card, and memory card readers and slots on phones and tablets. Memory card makers will also save money on shipping and handling if the cards weigh less, and take up less space in shipping boxes.

I think in the future, external memory cards for smartphones and tablets maybe very basic where the card is a storage chip with a few data connectors on it like some thin laptop SSDs where it is a smaller stamp-size or business card size card with a SSD storage chip, and a small connector at the end which is used for data transfer and power.

Smaller size external memory cards in the future may need a tool, and small tray to install them and take them out of a phone and tablet like current cell phone nano-SIM cards.

They make them any smaller and I won't be able to handle them.

They make them any smaller and I won't be able to handle them.

I think there maybe smaller memory cards on some thinner phones where you need to use very small tools like those mini-screwdrivers for screwing eye glasses screws to the glasses frame, or you need to carefully insert them into a slot like those very small connectors on PC motherboards, or those flat ribbon cables on laptops.

I think there maybe smaller memory cards on some thinner phones where you need to use very small tools like those mini-screwdrivers for screwing eye glasses screws to the glasses frame, or you need to carefully insert them into a slot like those very small connectors on PC motherboards, or those flat ribbon cables on laptops.

that or just have tweezers as a standard tool on you.

that or just have tweezers as a standard tool on you.

I agree, tweezers would be a standard tool for removing small parts like tiny storage chips/cards.

Some electronics makers use glue to stick parts together. In the future, thin external memory cards may use glue or a sticker on the back of the thin memory card to stick it to connectors somewhere on the circuit board or a removable tray which attach to the circuitboard.

Some very small parts like microchip are attach and remove to the circuit board with soldering lead, and a heat gun or soldering iron, so on very thin, extremely cheap and homemade smartphones may require users to use lead and a soldering iron or heat gun to attach a cheap storage chip some where on the circuit boards.

A lot of cheap netbooks, and the Apple Macbooks Pro have small SSD storage chips stuck on the circuit board.

Back