Will mini consoles like Ouya never be popular because of cheap Mini-computers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that smaller $100-200 Windows 10 and Cheap Linux mini computers like the $35 Raspberry Pi 3 will make mini-consoles like the Razer Forge, Ouya, and Madcatz Mojo stay unpopular because people rather play games from Steam, EA's Origin, Gog, or emulators for PC.

A lot of PC games for Windows 10 and Linux now have Controller support, so you can play them like console games with a controller.

There are also a lot of controller mapping programs for using a controller on games without controller support.

Possibly, but I do want to get one myself one of these days.

Possibly, but I do want to get one myself one of these days.

I also want to get a mini console someday. I thought the Nintendo Classic mini console, and Vita TV/Playstation TV were good idea, but they don't seem to have enough games for them.

I think if Sony released a mini console based on the PlayStation 2, and it comes with many games like FF7, FF8, FF9, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, and other PS1 and PS2 games, I would want it.

Honestly, I think the big problem with stuff like Ouya was the poor choice of games available for it. I mean, most mobile games aren't really that fun to play on consoles, they're more of a thing you play for short bursts on a regular basis.

Even if small computers weren't available for them, the fact of the matter is very simple; the amount of people who want to play a mobile game on a dedicated console is very, very small.

Honestly, I think the big problem with stuff like Ouya was the poor choice of games available for it. I mean, most mobile games aren't really that fun to play on consoles, they're more of a thing you play for short bursts on a regular basis.

Even if small computers weren't available for them, the fact of the matter is very simple; the amount of people who want to play a mobile game on a dedicated console is very, very small.

I think another problem with the Ouya is that it had a difficult time attracting game makers to the Ouya because of Ouya's smaller amount of gamers.

The Ouya may of done better if it picked Windows or Linux as the operating system, so it would not get a mobile gaming reputation because it uses Android's mobile operating system. PC game makers also don't need to re-make their games to work on Ouya if Ouya used Windows and Linux. Gamers can also install games from PC game stores like Steam, Origin, GOG, and game installer files which they download from the official website for games like Minecraft, League of Legends, Maple Story, etc.

Ouya may also of done better if Ouya made a few first-party exclusive games for the Ouya instead of just releasing a console, and trying to convince game makers to publish games to the Ouya game store.

There are some mobile games which got released for consoles and PC in the past.

Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja got released for the Xbox 360 and other consoles, so I think there are some gamers who play mobile games on a dedicated console or PC by using a web browser to play them on sites like Facebook, or downloading them from the Windows App Store to play Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and other mobile games on Windows computers.

I have to agree. I think that as long as it's more affordable to go out and get these cheap computers, they'll probably never make it big enough.

Also, like you said, they never really came out with any games that was exclusive to it so there's not really any justification in getting one.

I have to agree. I think that as long as it's more affordable to go out and get these cheap computers, they'll probably never make it big enough.

Also, like you said, they never really came out with any games that was exclusive to it so there's not really any justification in getting one.

I agree there are not enough exclusive games which make people not want one. I think even mini consoles like the Vita TV and Amazon Fire TV from bigger companies like Sony and Amazon did not do very well because of the high price, and not enough exclusive games which playing.

Yeah, there isn't enough to draw people in and certain not enough to make them want to pay the higher prices.

Yeah, there isn't enough to draw people in and certain not enough to make them want to pay the higher prices.

I agree, the smaller amount of features of mini consoles make some people not want them.

Mini consoles not having a disc drive, and no support simple way of adding an USB external disc drive like Windows and some Linux operating system may turn people away from buying a mini-console.

Users may rather buy a Windows or Linux mini-PC and USB Disc drive, so they can play disc DVD and Blu-Ray movie disc, disc based PC games like Quake 3, Warcraft 1-3 and Starcraft from a USB disc drive connected to their mini Windows and Linux PC.

DVD and Blu-Ray Movie Disc playback is an important feature for people who like to buy consoles like the Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray disc player because they have a game console and Blu-Ray/DVD movie disc player.

That's the reason I've stuck with Nintendo over Sony or Microsoft. There are enough games to keep me interested in Nintendo. With Sony and Microsoft, there is little to no games that are exclusive to those companies that I'd be interested in so there isn't enough to draw me in on them. That right there is half the battle. You have to make people want to buy your product.

Expecting people to pay the higher prices just adds insult to injury in my opinion....

That's the reason I've stuck with Nintendo over Sony or Microsoft. There are enough games to keep me interested in Nintendo. With Sony and Microsoft, there is little to no games that are exclusive to those companies that I'd be interested in so there isn't enough to draw me in on them. That right there is half the battle. You have to make people want to buy your product.

Expecting people to pay the higher prices just adds insult to injury in my opinion....

I agree, Nintendo has a lot of fun exclusive games like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon whic attract gamers who like Nintendo themed games.

Sony and Microsoft can be good choices for people who wanted to play Grand Theft Auto 5, Call of Duty, Racing, Sports simulators, and RPG games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, but don't own a good Gaming PC which can play Grand Theft Auto 5, Call of Duty, Racing, Sports and RPG games.

Xbox and Playstation don't have a lot of exclusives, but they are good choices for people who don't have a Gaming PC, but still want to play games like Grand Theft Auto 5.

Back