Will Mobile Games popularity outlast the popularity of most mobile apps?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think there is a chance that the popularity of mobile games will be longer than most mobile apps because most mobile apps are not as good as the PC versions of the same apps.

A lot of mobile games like Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, and Pokemon Go are addicting, and have millions of fans which find these games entertaining to play. Games like Pokemon Go need a smartphone or tablet with a data plan and GPS to work.

A lot of tablets like Windows 10 tablets, and the rumored Chrome OS tablets can also run PC programs like the PC version of Google Chrome, so some people may just buy a USB keyboard and mouse to use PC programs on their tablet, and some smartphones release in the future which can run PC programs.

Last edited:
I think so, just depends on the app.

I think most mobile games with thousands and millions of gamers are less likely to lose a lot of its gamers in the future compared to apps because a lot of people play games because of the fan community.

There are still a lot of people who play old MMORPG like World of Warcraft, Runescape, Minecraft, and Maple Story because the fan community is very important to them, and the game is one of their favorite places to keep in touch with friends, and make new friends.

I see your point, but I think it depends on the apps / games. A popular game like Pokemon Go might outlast the popularity of a little-known chatting app that only a few thousand people use, but an unpopular mobile game will not outlast the popularity of apps such as Kik, Musical.ly and Instagram.

It all depends on the popularity of the game and how well it does. I think games are more popular than the apps.

I think quite a lot of mobile games seem to go through a span of getting hugely popular, then falling in popularity very quickly after one or two months. This is likely because people exhaust what you can do or get stuck in a position of needing to pay to continue - so I wouldn't agree with this 100% but like others say, it depends massively on the game or app in question.

but an unpopular mobile game will not outlast the popularity of apps such as Kik, Musical.ly and Instagram.

Some of the apps you mentioned are social networking apps, and chat apps, so they are less likely to be forgotten unless the owners of these apps messed up like social websites like Myspace, Friendster, Orkut, Geocities, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and Xanga which may still be popular if they tried harder to attract new users, and keep their current users happy.

I think unpopular mobile games are unlikely to be as popular as Instagram, but they may someday become more popular than Instagram if Instagram mess up, and users use another picture sharing social networking app, or the maker of the game finds a way to make more people play the game longer, release an update which improves the game drastically, and tell their friends about the game.

Well, what kind of apps were you referring to then?

I was mainly referring to general offline apps like kids drawing apps, file managers, and text editors. I consider social networking and chat apps as websites with a custom web browser apps which can only use one website.

I was mainly referring to general offline apps like kids drawing apps,
Oh, then i don't use any of those...

I consider social networking and chat apps as websites with a custom web browser apps which can only use one website.
Kik, Telegram, Whatsapp and SnapChat (4 of the most popular chatting apps), as well as Blackberry Messenger, don't have a custom web browser / website.

Kik, Telegram, Whatsapp and SnapChat (4 of the most popular chatting apps), as well as Blackberry Messenger, don't have a custom web browser / website.

There is now a Whatsapp website at web.whatsapp.com which let you use WhatsApp on its website. Facebook messenger also has a similar website at messenger.com. Facebook Messenger was always available on Facebook.com because Messenger was built-into the chat/pm system on Facebook.

It truly depends how about YouTube can someone out run it maybe some other apps might be outrunned but some will stay as it is like people commonly use it.

I think the YouTube app have a chance of someday being less popular than some mobile games and other apps because of YouTube's strict video rules where a lot of videos are blocked, deleted, or have no sound because the video contains copyrighted music or audio which is blocked.

More people are now using alternative video sites to watch video because the rules are not as strict, so videos are less likely to be deleted, or blocked by the website.

In the past, Flckr!, and Photobucket were very popular for sharing and storing photos, but now most users use Imgur, DeviantArt, and Instagram to share pictures, so I think people will eventually find new video sites which serve their needs better.

I think mobile gaming has potential, but it's ridiculously overflowing with trendy casual games. Coming from PC and some consoles, I never liked Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, or Pokemon Go. I thought they were too casual for me, I usually want my games with a story. Kudos to those guys earning millions, but the games are just not for me. I'd rather spend my money on Gameloft games, which are mostly ripoffs of bigger games but hey, they're good looking ripoffs lmao.

I think mobile gaming has potential, but it's ridiculously overflowing with trendy casual games. Coming from PC and some consoles, I never liked Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, or Pokemon Go. I thought they were too casual for me, I usually want my games with a story. Kudos to those guys earning millions, but the games are just not for me. I'd rather spend my money on Gameloft games, which are mostly ripoffs of bigger games but hey, they're good looking ripoffs lmao.
Apps have a more social aspect to it, right? I mean, I'd rather play it and brag about high scores to friends rather than having the top score on your phone against anyone who uses it. Apps are also more diverse in quality of the game, meaning you can definitely find something you're looking for instead of just the basic ones the phones have in their arsenal. I think apps have surpassed mobile games recently, since people are more concerned with topping their friends' high scores rather than wasting time on games with no social reward.

Apps have a more social aspect to it, right? I mean, I'd rather play it and brag about high scores to friends rather than having the top score on your phone against anyone who uses it. Apps are also more diverse in quality of the game, meaning you can definitely find something you're looking for instead of just the basic ones the phones have in their arsenal. I think apps have surpassed mobile games recently, since people are more concerned with topping their friends' high scores rather than wasting time on games with no social reward.

I dunno, to each his own I guess. I never liked the idea of topping scores so maybe that's what drives me away. I do have to agree that recently, there are more people these days that are just playing casual apps trying to outrank their friends. I don't mind trying to outrank my friends but I just can't seem to enjoy myself playing mobile apps though, I usually only like to outrank my friends in terms of PvP in certain mobile games.

I dunno, to each his own I guess. I never liked the idea of topping scores so maybe that's what drives me away. I do have to agree that recently, there are more people these days that are just playing casual apps trying to outrank their friends. I don't mind trying to outrank my friends but I just can't seem to enjoy myself playing mobile apps though, I usually only like to outrank my friends in terms of PvP in certain mobile games.
Ugh, you have no idea how many people keep bragging about their scores in games these days like Clash of Clans or whatever. It's a mobile game, are you really proud of that? It's not like you spent time and effort, most people buy in-app purchases to get better scores. Where's the fun in that? Paying real money to get scores so you can brag to people about it is pretty damn pathetic if you ask me.

Ugh, you have no idea how many people keep bragging about their scores in games these days like Clash of Clans or whatever. It's a mobile game, are you really proud of that? It's not like you spent time and effort, most people buy in-app purchases to get better scores. Where's the fun in that? Paying real money to get scores so you can brag to people about it is pretty damn pathetic if you ask me.

I don't get what struck a nerve with you when I clearly said "to each his own" and not once have I mentioned that I need to buy in-app purchases for better scores. If you're referring to my "PvP" statement, then I'd like to mention that not all games have a pay-to-win PvP. If you ask me, it's not much different with bragging about scores. Both of us are just trying to show other competitors how good we are.

Also, come to think of it, and I'm not implying anything here, but I just want to mention that by PvP, I mean Player vs. Player (realtime).

I think quite a lot of mobile games seem to go through a span of getting hugely popular, then falling in popularity very quickly after one or two months. This is likely because people exhaust what you can do or get stuck in a position of needing to pay to continue - so I wouldn't agree with this 100% but like others say, it depends massively on the game or app in question.
Cough. Pokemon Go. Seriously, last year at my university, everyone was looking at their phones constantly. All I had to do was wake up and look out my window, and I could immediately tell who was playing Pokemon Go. I believe there was even one accident because some driver was playing it in his car. Anyway, after a few months, the game took a drastic drop in popularity. I didn't see as many people playing it anymore, and the buzz has died down on social media.
So I think a game can outlast other favorite mobile apps, but it has to have the potential for longevity. The reason PGO wasn't able to maintain its momentum was that you were limited based on where you lived, and there were frequent errors on the servers, limiting how far you could progress. I don't think everyone liked having to walk either. I'm not sure how Candy Crush is doing now, but I recently went on my dad's Windows 10 tablet and was surprised to see Candy Crush preinstalled from the App Store. I think PC compatibility rather than just mobile compatibility will determine its longevity.

Back