Will more people game on settop boxes like Roku, Google TV and Apple TV than consoles and PC?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I can see a lot of people gaming on a Settop box like the Roku, Google TV, and Apple TV more than game consoles, and computers since settop boxes cost around $99, and a lot of people use them for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, streaming and social networking, and the gaming function on them is an added bonus for a lower $99 price compared to $300-500 for a new console. Settop boxes might be like smartphones and tablet gaming where a lot of people own them, and they also have a lot of game apps which are free or cheaply priced like 99 cents per game compared to $60 a game.

A lot of people are also quit watching cable TV to watch Netflix, and the cheapest device to easily stream Netflix is a Roku 3 which cost $99.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rghil_yZ0YE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNeNAo2AmF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQkC3C73Rk0

I don't see these becoming very popular. Plus, most of the games on these are on tablets and phones.

Inexpensive settop boxes could have a good size cult following like Ouya if they can be hacked/jailbreak to install emulators, and they can attract independant small game developers who got rejected from the Indie game section of Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony, but still want to sell their games on a settop box which supports controllers/remotes for games.

A lot of people play flash web browser versions of phone games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Plants vs Zombies, so there are some people who enjoy playing mobile games on PC, or TV via Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja for Xbox, etc, so I can see gamers also wanting to play mobile games on the Apple TV if there is a good Apple gamepad controller for the Apple TV, and similar boxes.

I know the Ouya is very popular because it can be used as a cheap $99 Settop box like Apple TV or Roku for Netflix, streaming video from a PC to a TV with an App, and watching videos copied to its storage, or a USB hard drives, and the Ouya can also play games as well.

Even at low prices, I just don't see it being used like a phone, tablet, or a laptop.

I, for one, prefer consoles over these setup boxes. I am buying a 3DS XL soon; I will likely prefer it over a phone.

I think more people may own a Settop box like an Apple TV or Roku than newer game consoles like the Wii U and un-released consoles since a lot of people of all ages are starting to stop subscribing to cable TV, and connecting a laptop, desktop, or tablet to a TV is more difficult, and expensive to watch online TV compared to an Apple TV or Roku 3 which both cost $99. Apple needs to make a physical iOS wireless game controller, so a lot of touchscreen games can be played without looking down at the screen on a iphone while it is being connected to Apple TV.

I think the same type of people who use Settop boxes like the Apple TV or Roku 3 to play games are like the many people who play web browser flash games, Minesweeper and Solitaire on their computer, free games on PC like Maplestory, and phone games on their tablets, and smartphones.

Don't you just love to bring back old topics?

And they might. Some people will at least.

They might own them, but they probably won't be using them for gaming when they have other consoles.

They own a settop box, so I can see them at least trying out games once in a while on an Apple TV, Roku, or Google TV box since it is not like they have to pay extra for games which comes with the boxes, and they already own or pirated.

People who own a gaming computer, and high quality games like Farcry, Counter Strike, etc still play free games on a PC like Minesweeper, Pinball for Windows XP, Solitaire, and Flash games since they are free, cheap and fun to play when people are in the mood for simpler games.

GracefulAssassin said:
Don't you just love to bring back old topics?

And they might. Some people will at least.
This topic is only 4 days old :p

froggyboy604 said:
They own a settop box, so I can see them at least trying out games once in a while on an Apple TV, Roku, or Google TV box since it is not like they have to pay extra for games which comes with the boxes, and they already own or pirated.

People who own a gaming computer, and high quality games like Farcry, Counter Strike, etc still play free games on a PC like Minesweeper, Pinball for Windows XP, Solitaire, and Flash games since they are free, cheap and fun to play when people are in the mood for simpler games.
Yeah, they might try the games, but I doubt they would really want to use these for gaming as often as they would with consoles. They'll at most play these games casually when they're bored.

A lot of people who own hand held consoles like the PSP also play games on their Smartphones, and tablets because a smartphone and tablet is a device they are already using, or have with them.

I can see people playing a quick game like Tetris, Pong, Angry Birds and other compatible games on their settop box after watching a video on Netflix or YouTube on the Apple TV, or Google TV because the settop box is already on, the games are installed on the built-in memory card, so no disc needs to be inserted into them, and the remote they are already holding is also the controller for Roku, Google TV, and other settops.

There are also a lot of people who like playing older games for fun, but rather spend $1 on Apple App store, Google Play, or download it for free than spending $60 for a re-make of a old games like Pac-man.

Many people play games when they are bored, and casually.

Very few people are  professionel gamers who earn money playing games in a Pro gaming tournaments, or getting paid to upload their gaming videos to YouTube, and Machinama.

Back