Will most electric car owners replace a broken battery on a very old electric car?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
No, I don't think many electric car owners will replace a battery on a very old electric car because a lot of people don't like to keep driving old cars for many more years because they look old, don't have as many cool features, old car parts can breakdown a lot, and the metal on the car maybe rusting because of road salt and water damage from being driven for many years, and rust on the metal parts are breaking down the metal on the car. People who own very old electric cars may replace the car before the battery breaks because they feel embarrassed driving an older looking car like how some people feel embarrassed driving a very old cars from the 1980s.

I think for people who want to keep the same electric car for a long time, they would care more about replacing their broken battery on their electric car depending on how long the entire car last before a battery replacement is needed. A lot of 20 year old cars need a lot of repairs on other parts like the brakes, accelerator, wires, power windows, air conditioning, springs, and steering system, so some people may not keep very old cars once it cost a lot to repair all the broken parts and remove rust.

People who want to save money may care about replacing an electric car's battery depending on how many other expensive car parts need to be replaced and repaired. Car mechanics sometimes charge very high prices for replacing many parts, and there are some car mechanics which over charge people for replacing and repairing car parts. Sometimes fixing a very old car to be safe and reliable driving condition may cost more than buying a basic used electric car like a 2012 Mitsubishi I-miev which sometimes can be bought for $8000 or less at a used car dealer, and the car come with a warranty on the battery and other parts on the used car.

But, many electric car owners may replace their car before the batteries are broken in an electric car. A lot of people replace their cars under 10 years because people like new cars with better features, more modern styling, or feel they deserve a nicer car after they saved enough money to buy a nicer car, and getting their dream car like a Chevy Camaro or Corvette is an important achievement in their life.

There are some people who are more insecure about themselves, and are afraid strangers, co-workers, friends and family members will not like them as much if they drive the same car for over 5 years, so they may replace their electric car before the battery breaks.

Metal cars can rust and breakdown after driving the car for many years, so the whole car may become rusted and too expensive to fix at a mechanic if you need to repair a lot of parts like springs, alloy tire wheels, tires, stereo, air conditioner, lights, brakes, etc. It maybe cheaper to sell your broken electric car, and buy a basic new car or more reliable used car than to pay for metal rust repairs, fixing all the broken parts on an older car, repainting the car, and a new battery and the cost car parts installation.

Last edited:
It all depends on your financial situation, we all can't be like Steve Jobs was and just go out and buy a new car the second he saw a scratch on it.

It all depends on your financial situation, we all can't be like Steve Jobs was and just go out and buy a new car the second he saw a scratch on it.

Steve jobs leased/rented his Mercedes SL55 AMG luxury car on a six month lease/rental, so he never owned a car according to Steve Jobs stayed tag-less by leasing a new car every six months .

Car repairs from a car mechanic can cost a lot of money where you can spend many hundreds to thousands of dollars every few month to keep an old car in good condition. Most car repair shops charges hundreds of dollars to replace a part like a timing belt, fan belt, and may trick car owners to change parts which are not broken, so car owners end up spending many thousands of dollars when they just plan to replace cheaper parts the Windshield wiper blades.

It sometimes cost less money to sell an unreliable used car to a used car dealer or someone else, and buy another used car which is in better condition. Buying a cheaper new lowend car like a $9999 Mitsubishi Mirage may help you save more money over many years because you are not spending many thousands of dollars a year on repairs, and maintenance depending on how expensive your repairs are.

Last edited:
Honestly....I don't think it's worth it...but people tend to like the things that they use...so it's possible.

I would be willing to replace the battery as well.

Honestly....I don't think it's worth it...but people tend to like the things that they use...so it's possible.

I would be willing to replace the battery as well.

This is true it may not be worth it to replace the battery if a car have many other expensive car parts which need to be repaired and replaced in the next few month. In some countries where car repairs are usually expensive, it maybe cheaper to buy a cheap new car or older reliable used car than to replace many broken and failing parts which may cost many thousands dollars to hire a mechanic to replace each part at their shop. Buyers also get a warranty when they buy a new car, and some used cars have a warranty as well.

Back