Will most handheld consoles use a PC based operating system in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that Windows 10 or Linux would be used on most or all gaming handheld consoles in the future because there are already many PC games which are compatible with Windows, and Linux. There are also many PC game programmers, and workers who know how to make games for PC.

Convincing existing PC game developers to make games or port their PC games for a handheld which uses Windows or Linux maybe easier than a custom operating system like the Sony Vita and Nintendo 3DS OS made for handhelds, or mobile operating system which may change a lot over time, or become discontinued or dying like Firefox OS, Web OS, Symbian, Windows Phone, etc.

img001.jpg

I think Nintendo and Sony custom OS is more easier, because game must work well on one hardware, not hundred million hardware.

Maybe? I think they will all keep using their own made OS.

I think it also depends on how much money it costs for handheld makers to make a custom OS in the future, how long it would to make a custom OS, and if there are many noticeable benefits like speed increases, better video and sound quality, and fewer game crashes compared to using a regular PC OS.

Handheld companies can't keep using their current custom OS forever because newer faster CPU models, video chip, and RAM will need new drivers, firmware, and other software which is needed to properly use the hardware with the OS.

Full size consoles already use OS which are originally used on PCs and servers. The Xbox One uses Windows 10 core and the PS4 custom OS is based on FreeBSD 9 which is similar to Linux and UNIX which is used on PC.

If most future handhelds are only used for game streaming also called cloud gaming where a game is run on a server, I think handhelds will mainly run a free OS like Linux, Android, or a basic version of Windows 10 like Windows 10 IoT Core which is also free for the Raspberry Pi and similar mini PCs.

Custom OS can cost more, but speed increase, better video/sound, etc. is disagreeable.
Usable OS has many driver in kernel, many different feature, etc., that will make game more slow.

Custom OS would probably be best for gaming handhelds which performance is slower because it uses slower and cheaper parts, so it can be sold for $200 by using a more affordable slower CPU, video chip, and RAM which performance is slower to keep the price at $200 and increase the battery life.

I think for slower pace games like music games, puzzle games, and slower pace games like Pokemon games, the speed increase of using a custom OS maybe less noticeable to most gamers who play slower pace games. But, for faster pace games like first person shooters, and open world games like Grand theft auto 5, the slower performance maybe more noticeable depending on the performance of the CPU, videochip, and RAM, and the video quality settings.

Steam mobile ver would be cool. Those games at android playstore is a bit messy.

I would also want a Steam mobile version. I feel games for Android playstore would be better once Google Play is more strict on punishing and not accepting bad games like greedy mobile games where you need to spend a lot of money to finish the game, or watch a lot of ads every few minutes to play the game.

I would also want a Steam mobile version. I feel games for Android playstore would be better once Google Play is more strict on punishing and not accepting bad games like greedy mobile games where you need to spend a lot of money to finish the game, or watch a lot of ads every few minutes to play the game.
Google is 97% make money with advertisement in application, so I think it will not become more strict.

Google is 97% make money with advertisement in application, so I think it will not become more strict.

I agree, Google most likely will not be more strict because Google make a lot of money from app ads, and there are still a lot of companies which buy App ads to advertise their website, other apps, and products like game console games like Call of Duty.

I think it be cheaper to pay pre-made OS license fees.

Windows is free for mobile PCs like laptops, tablets, and handhelds which screens are under 9 inch in size according to Windows 10 devices up to 9″ remains free to OEMs with Anniversary Update | On MSFT , so there is no license fee.

Windows maybe a good cheap/free OS for a handheld which comes pre-loaded with a lot of retro games, older PC games like Quake 3 and other games which can run on a handheld system.

Last edited:
I'm surprised its free for anything.

Microsoft earns a lot of money from App and game sales in the Windows Store on these 9 inch screen PCs. Microsoft most likely still earn a lot of money from software sales like Microsoft Office 365 from basic users who are more likely to buy a cheap PC with a 9 inch screen.

Microsoft most likely still want more 9 inch and smaller screen devices to use a free version of Windows 10 instead of using Linux, Android, etc on a cheap laptop or tablet. Buying a Windows 10 license is not worth it to many people when a cheap laptop or tablet cost $200 or less.

Back