Will most Laptops use one USB port for charging and data transfer like tablets?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think some laptop makers may try to save money and space on the laptop by using the USB port for both charging and data transfer like most Android tablets and smartphones which only come with one Micro-USB or USB-C port which is used for both charging, and data transfer. I think most device makers only has one USB port for power, and transferring data to a PC or USB device to save money by just need to install one port instead of having a seperate charging port like on laptops, and some digital cameras.

The Apple Macbook Pro 2017, and Google Chromebook Pixel uses one USB-C for both charging, and data transfer. There is no longer a dedicated charger port on the Apple Macbook Pro.

I don't think it work out, since you would often be charging your laptop at a time you need that space for something usb related.

I don't think it work out, since you would often be charging your laptop at a time you need that space for something usb related.

There are USB splitter which let you charge and transfer data at the same time. I think some USB chargers act like a USB hub which let you plug in a second USB device like a USB flash drive into the charger second USB input port, so you can charge with the USB charging cable and transfer data with the USB input port.

Last edited:
There are USB splitter which let you charge and transfer data at the same time. I think some USB chargers act like a USB hub which let you plug in a second USB device like a USB flash drive into the charger second USB input port, so you can charge with the USB charging cable and transfer data with the USB input port.

people don't like spending extra money like that though.

people don't like spending extra money like that though.

This is true. People don't like spending money on things like chargers, USB hubs, and adapters. Those laptop docks, and external pcmcia laptop cards can be expensive.

One of the good things about USB chargers and cables is that there are a lot of 3rd-party USB chargers, and USB batteries, so they are easier to replaced and repair than laptop chargers where the charger cost over $50 for the official charger, and the charging cable which plug into a laptop is not easily removable.

People can probably use a PC with USB 3.0 ports to charge a laptop which charges by USB, and also transfer data from the laptop to the PC at the same time like some smartphones and tablets.

Back