Will most people spend a lot of money on software in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
A lot of software is becoming a subscription service where you need to pay a yearly fee to legally use it. A lot of paid software like MS Office which are not subscription based software can cost hundreds of dollars when buying the most expensive versions.

Less tech savvy users usually stick to using paid software which they bought from stores like Staples, Bestbuy, Wal-mart, and official online stores like the Apple App store, Microsoft App Store, Amazon App store, Steam, etc because they don't trust free software because some free software contain trojans, ransomware, and malware.

Sometimes, if you are a student, or worker, your teacher or boss only let you use paid software titles like Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, MS Office, and Visual Studios.

Fewer people are using traditional tools like a typewriter, record players, and pencils which don't need software, and now use a computer with Word Processors, Spreadsheet, photo editors, video editors, gaming, and 3 software which can cost a lot of money if the maker of the paid software decide to sell their software for hundreds to thousands of dollars.

A lot of things like cars, houses, clocks, speakers, watches, TVs, and fridges now have a computer, and software, so the software company maybe able to hold your stuff for ransom until owners of the devices pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for a software update which add new features to the software on the device, or to pay the yearly subscription fee.

Thankfully Office can still be purchased, but hard to say when they will go the way Adobe did and just make everything subscription.

Thankfully Office can still be purchased, but hard to say when they will go the way Adobe did and just make everything subscription.

I think subscribing to Office, and work software is a bad idea since the maker of the software can legally cut your subscription at any time when you agreed to let them cut your subscription at any time in the Terms of Service when agreeing to use the software. The online-only subscription checker software can also not work, or get corrupted by a virus which means you can't use it offline when their subscription checker web server is broken, your computer or a virus breaks the subscription checker, or if you are offline.

I read that a Guy leaves bad comment about his smart garage door opener, gets his device disabled for his Smart Garage Door Opener cancelled for complaining too much about his bad experience with the Garage opener app for his iPhone, and he can't open his garage door because the software for the door opener got disabled on the subscription server.

Last edited:
Well all of MS office services runs though an account setup, so even if not subscription base MS can still revoke your software.

There will probably be hacks available in the future if MS starts revoking access to paying customers from using their software.

I think MS won't revoke software since they may get a lot of user complaints, and bad news from tech blog and regular TV and newspaper news.

MS also can't send users ads in their software if they revoke access to their software which maybe used to show notification ads to buy and use Microsoft software like Windows 10, MS Office, Edge, and Visual Studio, or buy a Surface tablet.

Everything seems to be going the subscription way, which I think will work out dearer. Also means people can't pirate it which means the companies will likely be earning far more money anyway. I am glad most offer the option of a one off purchase or subscription still at the moment, but don't think that'll last too long.

Everything seems to be going the subscription way, which I think will work out dearer. Also means people can't pirate it which means the companies will likely be earning far more money anyway. I am glad most offer the option of a one off purchase or subscription still at the moment, but don't think that'll last too long.

Subscriptions can also be useful at getting people's contact information like e-mail, address, phone number, and social networking account username, so software companies can send them advertisements to their e-mail on other products, or contact them by phone to try to sell them other software.

Some people may still share username and passwords for subscription software like how people secretly share Netflix username and passwords with their friends and family, but at least, one person is still paying for the software.

I think the smaller software maker companies may still give the option of a one off purchase to try to get more customers from both sides where people who only need to use the software for a few months will subscribe, and people who need to always use it at home or work will buy it.

What do you mean will it get expensive in the future to get software? It already is expensive right now. However, it will be even more expensive in the future as everything keeps going up.

What do you mean will it get expensive in the future to get software? It already is expensive right now. However, it will be even more expensive in the future as everything keeps going up.

There are some software from smaller software makers which are more affordable, or have a free version, but most software from big software makers like Adobe and Microsoft can be very expensive.

I agree most software will be more expensive in the future as the wages for software programmers, and designers goes up, and there are fewer alternative software as most of the small software makers get bought by bigger companies, or go out of bushiness.

I think computer software will be similar to modern video games where you buy the software for $60, and pay more money for add-ons, DLC, and more features where you can end up spending hundreds of dollars on one program.

On the OS I'm using, 90% of all software is both free and open source.
However, with the raise of distributions like Ubuntu over a decade ago, things have changed.
Now we have paid Steam games, some Autodesk software, Hiri, Unity Editor, and a couple of more.
Along with free closed-source software like Discord, Skype, etc.

Additionally, it has been proven multiple times before that Linux users are more willing to pay for software than Windows users are.
Piracy is one thing Windows users commonly do (and then complain about viruses, the funniest part of this phenomenom), and the Linux userbase is way smaller, so I admit it's a bit unfair to compare.
However, I'm talking numbers in currencies, not numbers in amount of users.
What I'm referring to: Why Linux Users Make Better Customers

On the OS I'm using, 90% of all software is both free and open source.
However, with the raise of distributions like Ubuntu over a decade ago, things have changed.
Now we have paid Steam games, some Autodesk software, Hiri, Unity Editor, and a couple of more.
Along with free closed-source software like Discord, Skype, etc.

Additionally, it has been proven multiple times before that Linux users are more willing to pay for software than Windows users are.
Piracy is one thing Windows users commonly do (and then complain about viruses, the funniest part of this phenomenom), and the Linux userbase is way smaller, so I admit it's a bit unfair to compare.
However, I'm talking numbers in currencies, not numbers in amount of users.
What I'm referring to: Why Linux Users Make Better Customers

If I had more money, I would donate money to a Linux compatible program like LibreOffice or operating system like Linux Mint, and I buy more paid Linux games or software since it is software which I want or need to use.

I think more Linux users are tech savvy, or know more about business where software makers need to earn money to continue to hire people to make updates like security and software fixes updates, and new versions of software for their buyers.

Back