Will PCs which can't easily install Windows PC OS be popular in Asia in the Near Future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
No, I do not a feel PC like a Chromebook, and Mobile/ARM CPU PC like some Non-Intel Mobile CPU Chromebooks which can't easily install Windows will be popular in countries in Asia in the near future.

Many Asian countries like South Korea and Japan still are stuck using Internet Explorer 8 ActiveX add-on to do tasks like online banking, government and taxes according to Japan hangs on to Internet Explorer as support ends and Will Moon Jae-in Really Save S. Koreans from ActiveX Hell? | ké radar .

South Koreans also play a lot of Windows PC games like Sudden Attack, League of Legends, and Starcraft which can make people not want a Chromebook, or Mobile/ARM CPU PC where there is no easy way to install Windows even if the hardware is fast enough to install Windows.

Mobile/ARM PC, and Chromebooks have a chance of being popular in Japan for Japanese who want to use them for basic tasks like watching online video, e-mail, emulating older video games which are no longer sold, using Google Play on a Android PC and newer Chromebooks to buy Android re-makes of old console games. Mobile gaming is also very popular in Japan according to Japan’s Mobile Game Market Tops US$9 Billion, Is (Probably) World’s Biggest | Kantan Games, Inc. – CEO Blog By Dr. Serkan Toto . Some Japanese may want to play the same mobile games on their Android PC or Amazon Fire TV with a Mobile/ARM CPU, Chromebook which can run Android games, and Apple TV which can run iOS games.

PC gaming is also not as popular in Japan compared to South Korea, so it can be easier for more Japanese to give up Windows. There are a lot of good alternative free and opensource Windows alternative non-gaming software like LibreOffice, Firefox, Chromium, LXplayer, VLC, etc which work on Android, and Linux operating system, or with an Android emulator like the Android emulator built-into Chrome OS.

There are also a lot of older people in Japan who may just want a more basic cheap PC like Chromebook or Mobile/ARM CPU based PC for reading e-mail, visiting websites, playing video files, and looking at pictures which they taken on their digital camera.

The computer literacy for young Japanese is low compared to other countries according to articles I read. "Overall, the percentage of Japanese youth lacking what the OECD regards as basic computer skills is nearly 25%—far greater than the study’s average of 10%. " on Young Japanese have terrible computer skills. No, really . " Young Japanese with lower computer literacy may more likely basic PC like a Chromebook, Android PC, or Mobile/ARM PC than Windows 10 and Mac OS X where users should learn about antivirus/antimalware, firewalls, disk cleanup, updating the OS, software drivers, and uninstalling un-needed programs to keep Windows running securely and reliably.

I feel Asian Communist countries like China, and North Korea may use PCs designed within their own country, and can't use American computer parts, and users can't easily install Windows. There are many Security Vulnerabilities in Windows, Windows software, and Hardware made by Intel, and Windows compatible PC parts which maybe insecure on purpose to make it possible for the US government to spy on China and North Korea, and break important computers if there is a war. Some countries like North Korea don't trust America, so they may not want to use any Computers with American parts made by Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and Microsoft installed on them them.

Wait, you're telling me they aren't up on the times due to them using a browser like IE?

I don't think any of that is true.
I know the Japanese massively use Windows PCs, I saw people using their laptops in metros sometimes, which you will very rarely see anywhere in Europe.
And the Chinese can use Windows on their machines just fine, I even had students from many different regions in China and they used Windows for their entire life.
Not sure about any of the 2 Korea's howevs.

Wait, you're telling me they aren't up on the times due to them using a browser like IE?

According to articles I read like Japan sticks with Internet Explorer as Microsoft ends support for old versions | The Japan Times many Japanese still choose to use Internet Explorer as a browser they use, or need to use because of work. The article also say South Korea use Internet Explorer more than other Asian countries.

"StatCounter survey indicates that Japan and South Korea are the only countries in the world where Internet Explorer 11.0 boasts the largest share, while the latest version of Google Chrome leads the field in most other nations."

I think there maybe a lot of older Korean and Japanese sites which may not have updated their website template design to look good in non-IE browsers, and use older IE ActiveX for displaying content like animation, video, and other tasks like downloading files.

I don't think any of that is true.
I know the Japanese massively use Windows PCs, I saw people using their laptops in metros sometimes, which you will very rarely see anywhere in Europe.
And the Chinese can use Windows on their machines just fine, I even had students from many different regions in China and they used Windows for their entire life.
Not sure about any of the 2 Korea's howevs.

Jobs like graphic designer, online journalist, online entertainer, Office worker, and others will use a Windows PC, or Mac in Japan. The police in North America usually warn people of not using their laptop, smartphones, and tablets in public because of robbers. I think in some parts of Europe, there are also robbers who may steal laptops if you use them in public when the police is not around, so some people will not use their laptop in public.

I never said that the Chinese can't use Windows. But, I feel China may someday create their own operating systems, and computer chips to protect themselves from computer security vulnerabilities like WannaCry, and Intel CPU security vulnerabilities built-into the hardware which can cause western countries to hack vulnerable PC in China.

South Korean websites used to require users to use Internet Explorer ActiveX to buy products online from a shopping website, so most South Korean internet users need to use Microsoft Windows. South Korean students also use x86/64bit PC like Windows and Apple laptops to watch video lessons on school subjects. But, mobile CPU which use a chip the the Nvidia Tegra K1 laptops are less popular in South Korea.

North Korea uses a Linux Distro called Red Star Linux. But, Windows XP is still use on computers in North Korea according to articles I read like https://gizmodo.com/you-can-download-north-koreas-os-x-knockoff-for-desktop-1678008498
"As Will Scott explained to the Chaos Computer Congress, North Koreans usually use Windows XP. Scott says that Red Star is made by the Korean Computing Center (KCC) which is one of the large labs in the capital. "

Last edited:
Regarding Europe, it depends on where you are.
Most of the Netherlands is safe, with exceptions to major cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
Northern Italy and eastern Spain are safe too, and so is most of the Nort Rein Westfalen region of Germany.
Major cities in Poland are also getting notably safer over time.
And Denmark and Iceland are notarious for their safety, but I've never been to either of these countries, so I can't say for sure.

But using laptops in public in Romania, Greece, southern Italy, big chunks of France, Belgium and Germany, and a couple others is a big no-no.

Back