Will Popular Handheld game consoles ever use PC-based AMD and Intel CPU and video chips?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that Nintendo and Sony handheld consoles may use an AMD PC based CPUs and video chips in future handhelds like how the PS4 uses a AMD APU chip. AMD CPUs and video chips are sometimes more affordable than Intel CPU and video chip brands, and AMD CPU and video performance is fast enough to run games.

I think it less likely for Nintendo and Sony to use Intel CPU chips because Intel chips usually cost more than AMD chips with similar speed, and features. Intel's onboard video chips on their cheaper CPUs like the Atom and Celeron are also not as good for gaming compared to a AMD Radeon video chips on an AMD A6 which can runs games faster than an Intel Celeron's onboard video.

I think so, handheld consoles will look for a way to improvement.

This is true that handheld consoles will find ways to become faster, and CPU and GPU from companies like AMD, Intel, and Nvidia seems to be the fastest chips regular buyers can buy for their devices.

They should, but I wonder what cost they have to get?

They should, but I wonder what cost they have to get?

I think a handheld with an Intel or AMD CPU will be $350 and more since the Nintendo Switch cost $300 which uses a mobile Nvidia X1 mobile chip. Many people may pay $350 for a faster handheld with an Intel or AMD PC CPU and videochip which can play games at 1080P and 2K at 60 frames per second at medium to high quality video settings.

Back