Will some websites become basic with fewer pictures, and no video now Net Neutrality is Gone?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
"Net neutrality is dead — at least for now. In a 3-2 vote today, the Federal Communications Commission approved a measure to remove the tough net neutrality rules it put in place just two years ago"

Source

Unfortunately, I feel the end of Net Neutrality will cause many websites to go back to mostly using text, no image files, and small pictures like in the past where you need to click on a very small thumbnail image to see the larger full size picture file which file size is bigger.

Some smaller websites may try to save more bandwidth, and just post very short articles which are a few sentences long, and use very basic website templates to save bandwidth because they can't afford to pay more for bandwidth fees to the US ISP which start charging for bandwidth usage.

Plus, users may end up paying per website visit, and how much bandwidth you used on the website. Some website owners may end up having to pay ISP for the bandwidth which their website uses to be sent over to their ISP users. If ISP starts charging website users for bandwidth usage to transfer files to a visitor's PC, some website owners may go back to writing mostly text articles with no pictures to save money on bandwidth.

In the past, Geocities and other free web hosts have low bandwidth limits. These low bandwidth limits for web hosts may come back if web hosts have to pay money to the ISP to use their connection to transfer an article and files like pictures and video to an ISP customers.

I'm running a few websites, at some of which I'm just working in the background.
With the exception of 1 site, we're getting traffic of many different nations, so I really don't think it's worth to go back to the stone ages with most of them.

Besides, 50% of my views on YouTube are Japanese, only 10% are American (and everyone else after these 2).
Except there's obviously nothing I can do about this one.

It maybe a good idea to make two versions of a website. One version of a website will load a lightweight version of a website for users who are forced to live with an internet connection which is being slowed down because the ISP does not have to follow net neutrality, and the other more feature-rich version of the site is for users who live in a country where Net Neutrality still exists.

Hopefully, other countries don't end net neutrality like the US. But, I think some politicians in other countries may end net neutrality like the US, so ISP can make more money, or slow down competing websites, so people are more likely to subscribe to the ISP's video streaming services instead of Netflix, Hulu, or Crunchy Rolls, or read websites which are owned by the ISP because the ISP is intentionally slowing down the traffic for websites which don't belong to them, and make websites which are owned by the ISP run faster.

*see other replies about NN being dead*

Anyways, if this truly does happen then yes I can see websites becoming completely mobile only in terms of content and loading.

*see other replies about NN being dead*

Anyways, if this truly does happen then yes I can see websites becoming completely mobile only in terms of content and loading.

If Net Neutrality is gone, I think some smaller websites may look more basic than many mobile sites, and smaller sites go back to using no CSS or basic CSS files for the website template, or be similar to text files with no formatting like bold, italics, and underline or links like in the very early days of the internet and computer operating systems where some sites and files where plain text files to save bandwidth, space on very small hard drives and floppy drives.

Hopefully, Net Neutrality does not end, and make smaller US sites ending up looking like old Twitter posts which are mainly one sentences long with mostly short phrases, no pictures, no video, and most website links in the post require link shortening websites to post longer links.

Back