Will there be more Tube CRT TVs which exist compared to LCD, Plasma TVs in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
There is a possibility that there maybe more Tube CRT TV which exist in the future compared to other TV types like LCD and Plasma TV which maybe replace with other TV types like Holographic and Laser TV which may cause people to replace their LCD and Plasma TV.

There are still people who use older Tube TVs because the TV still works. They don't have enough money for a better TV because of debt from student loans, and credit card debt.

Some people use their old Tube TV for playing older consoles like the Nintendo, NES, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis. Some businesses and government workplaces may still use old tube TV for displaying security camera video or video from a DVD player or cable tv box because of money problems, or a lack of time or too lazy to buy and install a newer LCD or Plasma TV. There are artist and art museum use tube tvs to display old videos for their art exhibits.

Old tube TV are also heavy, so some people may not want to replace them if they don't want to hire someone to move the TV to an electronics recycling center. Tube TV are sometimes fine for people who mainly care about their TV having a color display, and other basic features like RCA/composite ports for hooking up a DVD player, cable tv box, and old game console.

I think collecting old tube TVs can be more fun than collecting most LCD, Plasma, and Projector TV which all look very similar, and usually don't have wood cases, or unique plastic cases like Tube Tvs.

But, older Plasma, LCD, Projectoe TVs are sometimes replace before they break because some owners want a new larger TV, or a newer Smart TV with more features. Some older Plasma, LCD, projector TVs are less durable than old tube tvs, so they can break after a few years of regular use of using them for 4 or more hours a day compared to older Tube TVs which can last a long time like 20 years.

I think there maybe more Tube TVs than Plasma, LCD, Projector TVs after another form of TV becomes the most popular way to watch TV.

Sure maybe, but as someone who recently reacquired a CRT, it was kind of a pain to find one. Most people just straight up junk them as opposed to selling or giving them away on FB or Craigslist.

LCD’s are so cheap nowadays, you can get one for $100. Sure it can be a bit if you’re financially in trouble, but it’s not an unrealistic price. If they can’t afford a bigger TV, they can also go to a place like Rent a Center (which they do), and pay whatever a month for a bigger TV.

Basically CRT’s have been mostly relegated to a niche hobby and old people.

I read a post online from 2014 that said 46 percent of US households still have atleast one CRT Tube TV or CRT monitor according to CTA - The Long Goodbye: 46 Percent of Households Still Have At Least One CRT Device

There is also a post online from 2009 that says CRT TV are still popular in China, Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East because CRT are cheaper to make according to What's happening to all the CRT TVs?

I think some people may keep at least one CRT tv for playing old game consoles and other devices which may not look good on a newer type of TV.

Well in Australia I haven't seen a CRT TV/computer screen for years.

I don't see then being popular again anytime soon.

I still occassionally see CRT TV at stores, community centers, and other public places.

I feel many CRT TV made more recently like 2011 may last longer than many LCD TVs currently in use. There is a chance that CRT tvs could be the most popular type of Regular TV with a TV tuner if most people replace their broken or aging LCD TV with a video device like a tablet, smartphone, VR headset, laptop, computer monitor, projector, and other video device without a dedicated TV tuner for watching cable TV or Antennae TV.

In 2017, Almost half of millennials/younger adults are not watching any traditional TV according to Nearly Half of Millennials and Gen Xers Don't Watch Any Traditional TV: Study , so I feel the sales of LCD TVs with a dedicated TV tuner maybe less popular in the future, and more young people will buy a laptop, large computer monitor, and a streaming media box like Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV, and other devices to watch video.

They sell TV tuners or an HD antenna (can’t remember what it’s actually called) if you want to watch basic cable.

Outside of hobbyists, there’s really no point in having one. This is coming from someone who has a CRT.

Back