Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Do you think Microsoft will eventually just drop the Xbox and focus solely on PC gaming?

I think it is possible that the Xbox will eventually be discontinued because there could be better consoles in the future which convince many gamers to switch to different platforms, and not buy Xbox anymore. Xbox needs many millions of gamers to keep the console alive, and profitable.

There is also a possibility of many companies like Apple, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc releasing game consoles which make it harder for Xbox to get enough gamers to keep Xbox alive because gamers buy different brands of consoles because of the many good choices available in the future.

Microsoft will probably mainly focus on PC Gaming, and Mobile gaming if MS no longer sells enough consoles where it is worth it to keep the Xbox console brand alive.

Some older console makers like Sega and Atari no longer make consoles because they did not sell enough consoles and games to pay all its staff, and earn enough money to keep their console brands alive. The Sega and Atari fanbase is also shrinking, so there are not as many gamers who want to buy a Sega and Atari console.

Last edited:
I think it's likely the Xbox name will rename, but not in console form. I think we are likely to see 'Xbox' become a gaming service on PC with things like game streaming ect.

why would you think that for? Aren't going to drop if they are in the position of releasing the next generation of xbox platform. They are making millions of dollars from the products.

I think it's likely the Xbox name will rename, but not in console form. I think we are likely to see 'Xbox' become a gaming service on PC with things like game streaming ect.

I agree the Xbox name will remain. But, it could be a PC Game store service like Steam, GOG, and Game Streaming like PlayStation Now, and Nvidia Grid/Now.

There is also a chance that Microsoft sells the Xbox brand to another company like Gamestop if Microsoft no longer feels the Xbox brand is profitable enough for Microsoft, and Microsoft rather focus on Windows Desktop, Windows Server, MS Office, MS SQL Databases, Visual Studio's programming software, Skype, and Bing Search Engine which are very profitable, and popular.

Last edited:
I know I saw somewhere that MS was talking about a game console that could be upgraded like a PC.

I think this sounds like a Steam Machine. I wonder would Microsoft release a free Xbox Gaming Operating System like Steam OS, so people will dual boot Steam OS, and Xbox OS on the same Gaming PC.

The Xbox name is already well established with the likes of PlayStation and Nintendo, so no I don't think people will just forget it when considering a game console to buy. Console gaming may seem like it's dying, but there are still more than enough people who prefer it to PC. A lot of parent's as well, as it's a lot easier to understand the console market than the PC gaming world. Parents know they buy a console and that's it for at least 5 years.

(Although educating parents about R18/MA15+ games is still a necessity, because there are still minors playing GTAV - but that's another topic)

Consoles are basic to understand for parents, so they won't die and Xbox is a brand cemented in the console market.

Consoles are basic to understand for parents, so they won't die and Xbox is a brand cemented in the console market.

Most parents with younger children are in their 20s to late 40s. I think more parents are tech savvy these days because they learned how to use a computer in school/college, or at home when Personal Computers were becoming popular in the late 1970s. Parents who have young children may not know how to use all the advance software like Photoshop, video editors, and coding programs for PC, but they probably know how to use MS Office, a web browser, media player, and simple paint programs.

I think many parents of kids have a basic understanding of PC Gaming. They may understand a little bit about CPU, RAM, Video card, and hard drive in PCs, and know if they spend $500 and up on a PC, they can buy or build a Good PC for playing many games at high, medium and low video quality settings depending on how intensive the games are. A lot of people also know that most Windows PC are upgradeable because a lot of Desktop PCs advertisements say that you can upgrade the CPU, RAM, Hard drive and video cards if you need more power in the future.

The number of non-tech savvy parents which have no understanding of PC gaming is a lot smaller these days. Fewer people from less tech savvy times like the 1960s and older generations are having children now.

Console makers can't always rely on parents to buy their kids a console if there are a lot of tech savvy parents who think that PC Gaming can be a good alternative to console gaming.

Last edited:
Most parents with younger children are in their 20s to late 40s. I think more parents are tech savvy these days because they learned how to use a computer in school/college, or at home when Personal Computers were becoming popular in the late 1970s. Parents who have young children may not know how to use all the advance software like Photoshop, video editors, and coding programs for PC, but they probably know how to use MS Office, a web browser, media player, and simple paint programs.

I think many parents of kids have a basic understanding of PC Gaming. They may understand a little bit about CPU, RAM, Video card, and hard drive in PCs, and know if they spend $500 and up on a PC, they can buy or build a Good PC for playing many games at high, medium and low video quality settings depending on how intensive the games are. A lot of people also know that most Windows PC are upgradeable because a lot of Desktop PCs advertisements say that you can upgrade the CPU, RAM, Hard drive and video cards if you need more power in the future.

The number of non-tech savvy parents which have no understanding of PC gaming is a lot smaller these days. Fewer people from less tech savvy times like the 1960s and older generations are having children now.

Console makers can't always rely on parents to buy their kids a console if there are a lot of tech savvy parents who think that PC Gaming can be a good alternative to console gaming.

You are very right. Honestly I forget how fast time goes.

There's an ease-of-use that consoles as a whole bring to gaming, that just won't be replicated by moving totally to PC. Besides, there's money to be made in consoles and gaming still, no reason to get out now.

but you can never tell with Microsoft
This is true ...
For me it wouldn't really matter if they dropped the Xbox and focussed solely on the computer gaming, because I prefer that anyway. In the end it will probably come down to some criteria such as: profit, image, player-base and so on..

I think the answer to the question will depend largely on the success of the Virtual Reality offering that Sony is planning for the PS4 (PSVR) later in the year. The one big benefit that consoles have is that many people can play on a single screen at the same time (simplest examples are the Mariokart games for the WiiU but a host of other games use the same paradigm). The Virtual Reality could provide the opportunity for making significant profits for the PS4 and the Xbox (if it enters this arena) IF there is a large enough market out there currently. Ultimately, I believe that the three main console competitors will be whittled down to two by the beginning of the next decade with Sony likely having one of the top two spots and the Xbox/WiiU competing to be the alternative. I actually have all three consoles and multiple versions of the Playstation and Wii (PS3/PS4, Wii/WiiU) and will be eagerly researching the Virtual Reality option to see if it makes sense to get it this year.

As long as Xbox makes a profit, it won't be. It's still one of the best consoles available (There's only really 3 though.) I think most people have the opinion that PS4 is better than Xbox this generation though, so that sucks for them. I loved the Xbox 360, but I haven't bought into any of the new consoles yet. In-fact, if I were to get one, it would probably be the Wii U for all the great Nintendo exclusive games that are out there. Unless Xbox is literally beaten into the ground by the other consoles, consoles in general will always have a place, at least for a long while in my honest opinion. PC gaming is better, but for now, and for a long while, consoles like the Xbox will still have their place for more casual gamers.

The problem with that business model is that they are fighting a two-front war. As more and more people move away from laptops/PCs, the customer base for their core Windows and Office Software stagnates if not declines. If the XBox becomes a further cash sink, Microsoft's margins will be squeezed, their stock price will drop and they will be forced to make a choice .. continue to battle Sony or try and shore up their main product line.

I don't see Xbox every being dropped as long as Microsoft stay's relevant, if the technology is there for an affordable and easy to maintain high-end gaming computer then why shouldn't there be an even simpler entry level console option. Microsoft would have no reason to pull consoles or the Xbox name, especially in this ongoing age of nostalgia.

Back