Will You Use a Smartphone in Smartphone-based VR headset for gaming?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, If I had a cheap or free VR headset like Google Cardboard, I am willing to use a smartphone for playing games in VR mode.

Well there aren't too many games that support all the requirements but its definitely a fun way to play smartphone games. You just need to find a good game that will perform well on your device that supports whatever controller you have (since you obviously can't touch the screen anymore) and it needs to look right with those VR goggle things (Not too sure how that works?)

Its great that big companies like Google have made cheap headsets so that we can all enjoy VR, its something one can appreciate and its proof that we are heading in the right direction. I hope to pick up a good VR headset one day, I'm just waiting for a more Apple-esque one to come out to work with my iPhone. More immersive games like Monument Valley or Asphalt 8 should look pretty awesome with this. I just hope that game developers will pay attention to the concept and innovate clever ways for us to play VR games with our smartphones.

I doubt there will be any worthwhile VR games for smartphones due to their very limited performance anyways, let alone being practical to use anyway. The point of those is really just to demo the concept of VR, not to be something that compared to the "regular" VR in any sense of the word.

I think that it's more of a gimmick than a true VR experience. You're just staring into a tiny flat smartphone screen after all. I'd rather invest in an actual VR headset (once the technology improves and the price falls of course.)

Back