will you use miiverse on 3ds?

No, I refuse to. Seems like an attempt to take down internet forums by Nintendo, and I have no interest in using 'official' services for anything.

Okay, so to get this correct.. you support Nintendo but want nothing to do with their first-party things? You don't want to see them ruined yet support the fan games that steal from them. You don't want them to handle their own properties and let others make money off it without a contract obligation or royalties to Nintendo (LPers) yet you want to see Nintendo's profit margin rise? It all sounds kinda hypocritical to me. I'm confused.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about Miiverse. With it's limit on text length it precludes any detailed discussions, which is what forums excell at, and really only provides a convenient space to share one off screenshots and sillyness. On top of that it lacks all the features that make a real social networking site work well. You can't actually connect with anyone on Miiverse really, it's all prohibited to share any real personal information. It's basically a child friendly Nintendo corral for kids, that lets artists like me share occasional doodles too, or post a silly picture they took in game. From the types of discussions and one off comments I see on Miiverse a lot of times, I wouldn't be overly thrilled if we got a huge influx of poorly spoken kids anyway...

The truly dedicated and more mature fan bases are still going to be looking for more in depth discussions on a better forum for their ideas. I'd be waaaaay more concerned with things like the Group feature on Facebook.

did I ever tell you that I love the way you reply to things? I honestly look forward to your replies.

I agree, Miiverse is nothing to worry about. It is too unorganized and comes off as a poor attempt for Nintendo to enter the social network wars. They have the potential to build it up if they want, but I doubt they will do so without screwing it up completely or taking 3 years to do. As it stands currently, it is nothing more than a Fisher Price's My First FaceBook.

D'aww, thank you! I always feel like a windbag with how short so many people's posts are nowadays.

But I agree- Miiverse is leaps and bounds behind any other social media/forum platform out there. I think it has great potential and could really be something fun that would bring the community together, and be a good supplement to more dedicated sites online, but that's only if Nintendo nurtures it correctly. I mean, doesn't Sony and Microsoft have their own dedicated, first party social services as well? So far as I know, that hasn't hampered any online discussion sites. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about it killing off forums, Nintendo probably couldn't manage that if they tried!

No kidding, Miiverse is a pretty terrible system. And I can definitely see why people wouldn't be worried.

It's just.. I've seen a lot of mediocre things catch on over better alternatives. And the fact it's integrated into the hardware on some level (including now the 3DS) is worrying. I mean, remember Internet Explorer 6?

Compared to Firefox, Chrome, Safari, heck even to its newer versions it was utter crap. But it was built into Windows, and so a lot of naive people used it without looking for an alternative because it was 'convenient' to. My worry is that the most 'casual' Nintendo fans might just stop looking for any form of discussion about the games after finding the utterly terrible 90s style Facebook clone integrated into the hardware and that might hurt forums/social networks in some sense, simply because we rely on said people to get what's arguably about 60% of our traffic. It wouldn't affect you (or anyone with say, about 50 posts or so here or with a history on forums and what not), but for the odd question asker, the kind of person who say wants to know just one thing, it might be a distraction for them. And maybe because of over paranoid parents too, because Miiverse is very much... well, censored and toned down for the three year olds making up some of the fanbase. Which could be 'good' for some over restrictive helicopter parents.

No kidding, Miiverse is a pretty terrible system. And I can definitely see why people wouldn't be worried.

It's just.. I've seen a lot of mediocre things catch on over better alternatives. And the fact it's integrated into the hardware on some level (including now the 3DS) is worrying. I mean, remember Internet Explorer 6?

Compared to Firefox, Chrome, Safari, heck even to its newer versions it was utter crap. But it was built into Windows, and so a lot of naive people used it without looking for an alternative because it was 'convenient' to. My worry is that the most 'casual' Nintendo fans might just stop looking for any form of discussion about the games after finding the utterly terrible 90s style Facebook clone integrated into the hardware and that might hurt forums/social networks in some sense, simply because we rely on said people to get what's arguably about 60% of our traffic. It wouldn't affect you (or anyone with say, about 50 posts or so here or with a history on forums and what not), but for the odd question asker, the kind of person who say wants to know just one thing, it might be a distraction for them. And maybe because of over paranoid parents too, because Miiverse is very much... well, censored and toned down for the three year olds making up some of the fanbase. Which could be 'good' for some over restrictive helicopter parents.

Valid points, but Nintendo is in charge and they move forward with progress at such a slow rate they actually wind up going backward. It HAS potential, as I said before, but it is so cluttered and disheveled that for at least a year I wouldn't worry about it. If you tried to ask a question on there right now it would be lost in a pile of off-topic doodles.

Back