froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft really wants you to install and use its products on your computer. Beyond the myriad Start menu ads plaguing Windows 10, now users have to contend with pop-ups for Redmond-made stuff if they have Google's Chrome browser installed as well. Myce reports (image below) that when Chrome is pinned to the taskbar an ad for Microsoft's Personal Shopping Assistant extension hovers over the browser's familiar icon.

Read More

I think people don't want ads in their taskbar, and some people may just get annoyed with Windows 10, and buy a Google Chromebook, or install Linux on their computer to replace Windows 10.

This is why I say they may go under in the future.

This is why I say they may go under in the future.

I agree if Microsoft continue spamming, and other unwanted actions like force updates Windows will become less popular or go under.

I think people don't want pop-up ads on operating systems which they paid for when they bought a new PC, or bought the Windows install files from MS.

Most free operating systems like Linux, don't contain ads/spam.

Ha! Serves them right for using Chrome. That's one of the worse browsers ever.

Ha! Serves them right for using Chrome. That's one of the worse browsers ever.

The Ad loads up Chrome, so users can install the Personal Shopping Assistant Extension for Google Chrome if you read the full article on Engadget which also has a screenshot of the forced ad for Chrome. If Chrome is bad, I think Microsoft won't be making extensions for Chrome.

I'm guessing a lot of people un-pinned Microsoft Edge web browser from their Windows taskbar, and does not have other browsers shortcut pinned to the Windows taskbar for this forced extension advertisement to work.

Users may also be more likely to install and use the Microsoft Shopping Assistant extension on Google Chrome which is one of the most used web browsers for desktops.

Last edited:
It eats RAM like crazy

Google Chrome 55 and newer uses less RAM than previous versions of Chrome. In some cases, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and other browsers could use more RAM, and run slower than Chrome based on comments I read on blogs, and my own usage of Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers.

The high ram usage is sometimes caused by Adobe Flash, Java, and other third-party plug-ins, and add-ons for web browsers.

Back