froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Updated Three people in Illinois have filed a lawsuit against Microsoft, claiming that its Windows 10 update destroyed their data and damaged their computers.

The complaint [PDF], filed in Chicago's US District Court on Thursday, charges that Microsoft Windows 10 is a defective product and that its maker failed to provide adequate warning about the potential risks posed by Windows 10 installation – specifically system stability and data loss.

Microsoft "failed to exercise reasonable care in designing, formulating, and manufacturing the Windows 10 upgrade and placing it into the stream of commerce," the complaint claims. "As a result of its failure to exercise reasonable care, [the company] distributed an operating system that was liable to cause loss of data or damage to hardware

Read More

This is unfortunate for people who loss their data, and had their computers destroyed by Windows 10 failed upgrade.

Hopefully, the users backed up their data before upgrading to Windows 10, or at least printed out important data like their homework like English essays to paper. Small 500GB USB hard drives for $60, so users should be able to afford to backup most of their important data to another drive, or buy 50 DVD-R 4.7GB disc for $20 to create many backup DVD disc of their data.

I wonder if they have any chance of winning?

I wonder if they have any chance of winning?

They may have a chance of winning. According to the full article on "The Register", "Last June, a California woman won $10,000 after a Windows 10 update disabled her PC.", so I think the victims who lost their data, and computers because Windows 10 broke their PC may win if they can convince the judge, and jury that Microsoft is responsible for lost of data, and breaking their PC.

I think a lot of people who live in the Illinois in the US had experience Windows breaking their computer, and causing loss of data, so the Judge and Jury may deliver a guilty verdict where Microsoft have to pay for damages.

An operating system upgrade is also designed to upgrade an operating system to the latest version, and not destroy data like a clean install where the whole computer's hard drive is formatted, and the operating system is cleanly installed.

Back