Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Windows 10 will be the last version of Microsoft's long-running line of operating systems, according to company executive Jerry Nixon.

During Microsoft's Ignite conference last week (via Extreme Tech), Nixon explained that while there may not be a successor to Windows 10, that doesn't mean the Windows platform will be disappearing anytime soon.

Rather than release another entirely new OS in a few years' time, Microsoft plans to build upon and refine Windows 10 through incremental upgrades. What does this mean for PC users? A more dynamic and flexible platform going forward.

The company has yet to announce a firm release date for Windows 10, but if a report from AMD is to be believed, it'll be available for PC users by the end of July. However, we do know with certainty that Microsoft plans to release the OS in phases, with PC support planned for a mid-year release, followed thereafter by support for Xbox, HoloLens, and smart devices.
source

A good move, only if people love it. If it turns out to be W8, it won't end well.

I do like the idea of smaller updates instead of large, new platforms every once in a while. I hope this works out for them. 

This does sound like a good idea since people would not need to spend $100 or more for a license key every time they need to upgrade their operating system to the latest version.

I have my doubts about this. Microsoft doesn't have any reason to stop producing operating systems. And if Windows 10 will be frowned upon by users, like Windows 8.1 is, they will need to make some serious updates to not risk people switching to Apple computers.

alakazam said:
I have my doubts about this. Microsoft doesn't have any reason to stop producing operating systems. And if Windows 10 will be frowned upon by users, like Windows 8.1 is, they will need to make some serious updates to not risk people switching to Apple computers.
There's also Google Chromebooks, and Linux PC which are good alternative to Windows for people who want a cheap PC which is good enough for most people daily needs.

Demon_Skeith said:
maybe this is why its the last one since there is no profit in it?
I think there is a lot of money to be made in Apps, Programs, and Games rather than operating systems because Microsoft makes a lot of money from Microsoft Office, Visual Studios, and games like Halo, and Fable, so Microsoft may spend more of their time making individual programs, apps, and games which they can release for all other operating systems like Linux, Android, iOSand Mac OS X, game consoles like Steam Machine, PS4, and Wii U, and devices like Apple Watch.

Plus, people are spending less money on operating systems since people are still using Windows XP, Vista, and 7 on their older computer instead of buying new versions of operating systems as they are released.

froggyboy604 said:
There's also Google Chromebooks, and Linux PC which are good alternative to Windows for people who want a cheap PC which is good enough for most people daily needs.
Chromebooks are pretty much a joke at this point. They have been around for almost 5 years, but still don't support popular programs like Skype and Photoshop. One of my forums' moderators has a Chromebook, and she regrets having bought it.

alakazam said:
Chromebooks are pretty much a joke at this point. They have been around for almost 5 years, but still don't support popular programs like Skype and Photoshop. One of my forums' moderators has a Chromebook, and she regrets having bought it.
I disagree, Chromebooks are not a joke. There are many thousands of good reviews for Chromebooks on different shopping sites like Amazon, Newegg, and Bestbuy, so Chromebooks satisfy the computing needs of many of its users who gave Chromebooks a good review on a shopping site.

The Samsung Chromebook 2 is the best selling Netbook on Amazon's best selling netbook category , so there are a lot of buyers for it.

Chromebooks are the fastest growing Part of the PC Industry in 2013 according to NPD Inc.

Google Chromebooks are popular in schools, and some work places mainly because of their low price of $200-300, or even $150 or less if you buy the Hisense, and Hair Chromebooks with ARM/Mobile CPUs made by Rockchip and other Asian CPU brands. Chromebooks also do not cost much to maintain because it has built-in security software, and do not require advance PC skills to maintain the operating system, and install updates like Windows, and Linux because a Chromebook is basically a web browser which automatically installs updates, so users don't need to manually check for updates, and install them to stay up to dare.

There is Google Hangouts which is like Skype, and Polarr Photo Editor 2, online image editors on websites for image editing. Users can install Ubuntu  Linux on a Chromebook to install Gimp, Inkscape, and other image editors, and use the Linux version of Skype which is not very good according to forum posts I read on Linux forums.

I use a Chromebook for most of my daily computing needs, and it works pretty well. I like the long battery life, and how simple it is to use, and maintain compared to a Windows, and Linux computer where the operating system break after a Windows Update, Windows Antivirus update, or Linux Update which messes something up for some reason, and I need to re-install the operating system to fix my OS problems.

froggyboy604 said:
and do not require advance PC skills
froggyboy604 said:
Users can install Ubuntu  Linux on a Chromebook
You seem to be contradicting yourself a little... Installing Linux requires advanced PC skills.

froggyboy604 said:
There is Google Hangouts which is like Skype,
But it's not Skype, and when all your friends use skype to keep in touch, good luck trying to convince them to switch to Google Hangouts. Also, most online job interviews are held over Skype.

froggyboy604 said:
I use a Chromebook for most of my daily computing needs, and it works pretty well. I like the long battery life, and how simple it is to use, and maintain compared to a Windows, and Linux computer where the operating system break after a Windows Update, Windows Antivirus update, or Linux Update which messes something up for some reason, and I need to re-install the operating system to fix my OS problems.
Well, congratulations! :cool: You're the first Chromebook owner I have ever talked to who is satisfied with the device. I know at least 4 other people (one of them being my forums' moderator) who own Chromebooks, and all of them have terrible opinions about these netbooks.

alakazam said:
You seem to be contradicting yourself a little... Installing Linux requires advanced PC skills.

But it's not Skype, and when all your friends use skype to keep in touch, good luck trying to convince them to switch to Google Hangouts. Also, most online job interviews are held over Skype.

Well, congratulations! :cool: You're the first Chromebook owner I have ever talked to who is satisfied with the device. I know at least 4 other people (one of them being my forums' moderator) who own Chromebooks, and all of them have terrible opinions about these netbooks.
Installing Ubuntu Linux is not as hard on the Chromebook where you need more advance skills like coding, hard drive partitioning, and formatting, looking up system requirement for Ubuntu like a Regular PC, but installing Ubuntu require moderate PC skills like turning on Developer mode on Chromebook, and copying and pasting a few command lines on the command line app in Chromebook which users can learn be following a YouTube video or blog post on installing Ubuntu on Chromebook.

Google Hangouts requires a Gmail account, and a web browser like IE, Firefox, Opera and Chrome, so it is pretty easy to switch compared to downloading a separate program installer file for Skype, YIM, AIM, etc, installing it on a PC, and  making an account.

Outlook.com Users can now use Google Hangout with a Plug-in .

I think getting people to switch to Hangouts is not as hard as asking people to switch from Apple iMessage/Facetime to Skype because Hangouts works in a modern web browser, and only requires a Gmail.com account and web browser to use Hangout on Gmail, Google Plus, YouTube, or Apps for Hangout for Android, Chromebook, Windows, iOS, Linux, and Mac. If they own an Android phone/tablet/device, or Chromebook, they can use Hangout right away because the Hangout Apps come pre-installed with their Android and Chrome OS when you buy a Android or Chromebook device, and they need a Gmail account to use Google Play App Store for Google Android and Chrome OS.

Soon, Skype for Android may work on Chromebook if Microsoft ports Skype for Android to Chrome since Chrome can now run Android Apps with an Android ARC Runtime for Chrome.

There are phone interviews, and person to person real life interview for people who don't have Skype. Requiring Skype, and other programs for a job interview is unfair for some poor people without a computer which is incompatible or too old/slow (Windows 98-2000 PC) for Skype. Plus, job seekers will need a high speed internet connection which is required to run Skype smoothly without connection problems, so people who are still using dial-up, and slower connections can't apply for certain jobs since their connection is too slow for video calls.

I think Skype/video call job interviews are not common in Canada since I never heard from job seekers having a Skype or video call interview. More people here have phone interviews, and person to person interviews at the employer's workplace.

I think 4 people is a small number of people to poll to make a decision on if a product is good or not, and the thousands of reviews on shopping sites is a more accurate poll for informing buyers which products are worth buying or not.

I bet, the user experience and speed on a $150-200 Chromebook is better when web browsing, and watching video than a $200 and cheaper Windows 8.1 with Bing laptop which usually come with 2GB of RAM, Intel Atom or Celeron CPU, 16-32GB of storage space which is not very good at running Windows because Windows needs at least 3GB of RAM, faster CPU like the Intel Core i3 and above, and more space to install Windows programs which can use GBs of space each.

Got my 8.1 laptop registered to sign up so that the download starts as soon as it launches and then I can pick when to install. Neat idea by Microsoft there. Anyone else already signed up?

Martin said:
Got my 8.1 laptop registered to sign up so that the download starts as soon as it launches and then I can pick when to install. Neat idea by Microsoft there. Anyone else already signed up?
I got the little Windows icon too, on my PC's taskbar, but I can't decide if I should sign up to reserve a spot for the free upgrade... It will probably be very buggy and some programs might take months until they become compatible with Windows 10...

alakazam said:
I got the little Windows icon too, on my PC's taskbar, but I can't decide if I should sign up to reserve a spot for the free upgrade... It will probably be very buggy and some programs might take months until they become compatible with Windows 10...
You sign up and install when you want so you can hold off, but at least have reserved your free copy. 

Back