froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
As we bid farewell to Windows XP, Microsoft has released a rather significant update to Windows 8.1. Sure the features may not be revolutionary, but for those of you who use a keyboard and mouse, the update is a big boost to functionality for the platform.

The update is available now via Windows update and if you are wondering what all is new, make sure to check out our guide that goes over all of the features included in this release.

Read More

It's good to see that Windows 8.1 Update 1 will make Windows 8.1 more easy to use with keyboard and mouse users.

Hopefully, the Start Menu update for Windows gets released soon. 

Nothing like saying good bye to an epic OS to release an update to a not loved OS.

I read recently that Windows 8.1 will get the startmenu update in August, so soon 8.1 will be similar to XP with a startmenu, but the design of the desktop and startmenu will still be flat.

So the startmenu will be returning? about time. Had no idea why they decided to get rid of that. xD

XP will still be in our hearts. One of the Best OS' ever.

Honestly, outside of the lack of a start-menu, I don't see the problem with 8/8.1. The UI has been lighter on my system's resources than Windows 7's has. I enjoy the more minimalist feel of the UI, and it still feels very fluid and nice.

I agree, 8.1 feels pretty smooth on my older PC which can barely handle running Windows 7 Home Premium with Glossy animations turned on.

I can now watch HD flash videos on YouTube with Firefox, or have more tabs/windows open, and my PC does not slow down as much as 7.

I mostly make desktop shortcuts to desktop programs like Firefox, and pin shortcuts to the Windows Taskbar to launch programs, so I don't really use the Startmenu, or Start Screen in 8.1 and other versions of Windows.

8.1 gives things the old school feel with the new school technology. The wifes laptop is Windows 8 but I haven't upgraded hers to 8.1 as I already put a classic start bar on there so really don't see the point in updating to 8.1

I read a blog post that Windows 8.1 with Update 1 uses a little less RAM, and does not use as much CPU resources, so it runs better on slower computers with 1GB of RAM, and an older 1 GHz Single or Dual-Core CPU.

froggyboy604 said:
I read a blog post that Windows 8.1 with Update 1 uses a little less RAM, and does not use as much CPU resources, so it runs better on slower computers with 1GB of RAM, and an older 1 GHz Single or Dual-Core CPU.
That's handier for older machines then. This machine is still pretty new so doesn't really warrant it, may have a look at somepoint do download it, but isn't it like a 3GB update  :verymad:

Back