Windows Phone apps are disappearing from the platform — can Windows 10 turn it around?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft is dealing with a new problem, and it might be entirely their own doing. Developers that have previously been maintaining Windows Phone apps are losing interest, and in some cases dropping support altogether.

The latest developer to pull out of Windows Phone is the financial manager service Mint. The users of the Windows Phone app are not pleased in the least, but Mint’s position is that development resources are not infinite, and it already has Web, Android, and iOS versions to maintain. Windows Phone apparently isn’t worth the effort. This follows the end of support for apps by Pinterest, Bank of America, Kabam, and more.

Read more

I'm surprise to see Pinterest, and Kabam removing support for Windows Phone.

I guest, it cost too much money to hire a team of app makers to make apps for Windows Phone where the user base is not as big as iOS, and Android, so it would be hard to earn enough money from in-app ads and in-app purchases like in-game money to pay for the extra staff who are needed to make and maintain a Windows phone apps as a full-time job.

I highly doubt the W10 OS would save the phone, people are starting to abandon the OS itself.

Wow! Pinterest too? That's amazing! I wonder what the future of Windows Phone / Mobile is. Will they abandon it or invest more in developing apps?

I think Windows Phone would be like the Windows RT Surface tablets, and be abandoned, and replace with the full version of Windows 10 on all new tablets running Windows where users can run mobile apps from the Windows store, and also run desktop programs like Steam, Minecraft Photoshop, etc when Windows Phones are more powerful like Windows tablets which are now as powerful as laptops.

I think a lot of people also want a Windows Phone with the full version of Windows 10, so they can emulate Google Android with BlueStack Android Emulator to run Google Android apps which don't have a Windows Phone version

It probably be easier for Windows software makers like Adobe to make their Windows program made for Intel, and AMD Chips to work on Windows 10 by making a touch-friendly user interface theme for their existing program than re-programming their software to work Windows Phone.

Back