froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft's nine-year-old operating system, Windows Vista, will stop receiving updates in exactly one year from now. Luckily for Microsoft, most users abandoned Vista a long time ago when they made the move to the superior Windows 7 and therefore the company won't have to make too much of an effort to convert people to Windows 10.

Mainstream support for Vista ended four years ago during April 2012, and has since only been receiving security updates, it didn't even get new versions of Internet Explorer after version 9. With security updates being dropped, users will be much more susceptible to malware and should therefore migrate to a new version of Windows.

Read More

I bet, many existing Vista users will still not upgrade to Windows 10 after extended supports end in a year, and will more likely continue using Vista until their computer is broken, and is too hard for them to repair, or cost too much to repair at an electronics and computer store.

I'm pretty sure most have upgraded to W7 by now if nothing else.

Some libraries where I live still use Vista. I think they are still using Vista to save money by not having to upgrade to 7.

Vista is an okay operating system if you just plan on using Vista for browsing the web, and browsing the libraries catalog of books.

I don't think that high of a percentage of the market ever adopted Vista, correct? In which case, I highly doubt there is many people still running it now.

Vista was pretty good and highly underrated. The user interface was quite modern-looking. Sorry to hear that they will be discontinuing it.

I agree Vista was pretty modern looking, and it ran pretty well on PCs with 2GB or more RAM, 2 GHz CPU, and faster Nvidia, AMD, and Intel video chips. I think, if Microsoft made the Vista system requirements higher like requiring a 2GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, and better video chip, more people would have a better experience with Vista. In the past, Vista was installed on slower computers with 512MBs to 1GB of RAM, Intel Celeron CPUs, and slower video chips. There were also some users who upgraded to Vista on their old Windows XP computer which can barely run Vista, and the hardware isn't fully compatible with Vista.

I kind of feel that it is too soon to discontinue Vista because MS supported XP for so long.

I don't think that high of a percentage of the market ever adopted Vista, correct? In which case, I highly doubt there is many people still running it now.

According to Wikipedia, Windows Vista is still actively used on 1.77% of the world's personal computers. Vista's 1.77% marketshare is still higher than Linux 1.47%, Chrome OS 0.51% , and Other OS 0.31%.

There are about 2 billion PCs in 2014 according to Ask. After calculating 1.77% of 2 Billion, there should be around 17.7 million PCs which still actively run Windows Vista computers out of the 2 billion computers.

17.7 million Vista computers is still a large number of computers even if the OS marketshare for Vista is low.

I think the number of Vista computers is higher if you also include Vista computers which haven't been turned ON in many years because the owner of the computer mostly use their newer Windows 7, 8, 10, Mac, or Chrome OS PC, but they rarely use their Vista PC to browse the web, so their Vista computer is not included in the operating system usage marketshare by companies like Statscounter, and Google Analytic which keep stats on what operating system is used by website visitors' computer.

I agree, I like the icons, and user interface of Vista. I also thought the Windows Vista Startmenu, and Taskbar look pretty nice. I prefer the look of the Windows Vista taskbar, and startmenu, and thought it looked nicer than 7's startmenu and taskbar.

Vista was my very first OS at home (after using mac and W98 at school) and I did like its look though quickly learned it was buggy.

Vista was my first modern Operating System at home after using Windows 98 until 2007 at home, and using Windows 2000 and XP at school, the library, etc.

I did not find Vista very buggy, but it ran slower on my cheaper desktop computer with only 1GB of RAM back in 2008. I bet, if I had 3GB of RAM back then, Vista may have ran faster, and more reliably.

Back