With the Xbox One S GPU overclock: do games run faster?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits

So with the overclock for the Xbox One S, we seem to get a little bit of a frame-rate advantage over the original console. So if you still don't have a Xbox One and want one - the Xbox One S seems the way to go.

I think the Xbox One S looks good for people who care about having slightly more framerates, but it is not worth getting if you already own an Xbox One, or just want to get the cheapest Xbox One model for playing a few games like RPGs, Puzzle games, and older types of games where frame rates are not a big deal. There are now some good deals on a new original Xbox One which can be bought for $247 or less instead of $399 for the Xbox One Slim.

I feel the Original Xbox One could last longer because it's CPU and video chip are not overclocked which can damage the CPU and video chip over time or if you overclock the chip too much, so the Xbox One may generate less heat. The cooling system like heatsink, fans, and air vents in the original Xbox One seems bigger from pictures, so the hot air may escape the console faster.

I also like that the power supply for the original Xbox One is easy to replace without opening the console. Having the power supply outside of the console would also make the console run cooler because the heat from the power supply will not get trapped in the console like an internal power supply.

Pretty sure anything overclocked would work.

Pretty sure anything overclocked would work.

You have to be careful when overclocking a CPU, video chip, RAM, and other chips since if you overclock the chip too high, it can cause chips to overheat which is bad for the chips, and can break them very quickly, and make them not work.

You have to be careful when overclocking a CPU, video chip, RAM, and other chips since if you overclock the chip too high, it can cause chips to overheat which is bad for the chips, and can break them very quickly, and make them not work.

Well I mean gamewise it will make it work but obviously overclock risks the hardware's health.

I do agree overclock is not really that good the life span will be shorten. Its like supping up your car if you do not upgrade the whole engine you risk blowing the head or whole engine.

Well I mean gamewise it will make it work but obviously overclock risks the hardware's health.

Overclocking your hardware will not always make games run faster because the heat and extra electricity usage can stress out the parts causing performance problems.

I think most electronic parts are designed to run at a certain temperature, and can only handle a certain amount of electricity until it fries chips, and get damaged forever.

Sometimes your games may run slower, or less reliably causing crashes and freezes from a bad overclock. If you overclock a video card or CPU too high it could make the graphics look bad because of weird pixels on the screen, and cause the game to run less reliably by crashing more, or slowing down.

Your whole PC or game console may slowdown when it is overheating because of over clocking. I think not having enough power because you are using a low-quality and low-wattage power supply and adapter may also make your system less reliable, and run worse.

The Xbox 360 fat which suffered from overheating and RRoD problems maybe caused by very high CPU and GPU clock speed which stresses out the electronic components over time which cause RRoD problems.

Last edited:
Back