Would All Chrome OS Chromebooks someday stop using Intel CPUs in future Chromebooks in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think Google would recommend Chromebook makers like Acer, Asus, Dell, and Samsung to stop using Intel CPUs if Intel does not release affordable Celeron and Atom CPUs which fixed the Meltdown and Spectre CPU security problem in 2018-2019. Acer, Dell, Asus, and other Chromebook makers will listen to Google because Chrome OS, and the Chrome logo belongs to Google, so they don't want to risk losing their permission/license to continue to use Chrome OS, and the Chrome logo on their Chromebooks.

Google most likely have enough money and skilled hardware designers to create an affordable custom CPU for Chromebooks, so there is a chance Google may someday design their own CPUs like Apple's iPhone and iPad CPU which is designed by Apple.

Nvidia K1, Samsung Exynos, and other non-Intel CPU are proven to work at a usable speed on Chromebooks, tablets, and smartphones, and they sometimes run Android apps better on Chromebooks than slower Intel CPUs like the Celeron which has slow onboard graphics.

Intel may stop making cheap CPUs like the Celeron and Atom where Intel may just make a few dollars per CPU sold because these cheap CPUs are mostly sold for low prices for $50 or less, so there is not much money being made selling cheap CPUs. I think Chromebook makers need to find alternative CPUs if Intel no longer makes cheap CPUs, and only make more expensive CPUs like the Intel Core i7 and i5.

Things are also not looking good for Intel because of many lawsuits which Intel is facing, so Intel may need to stop making as many cheap CPUs like the Celeron and Atom where Intel makes very little money on each CPU sold. Cheap Intel CPU may lose money if they are sold at a loss because no one buys them because of cheaper alternative CPUs.

Intel lost a lot of money on Intel Atom Android smartphones tablets because not enough people bought them according to Intel spent more than $10 billion to catch up in mobile. Then it gave up.

given how Google loves to own everything, I'm surprised they haven't come out with a CPU of their own.

given how Google loves to own everything, I'm surprised they haven't come out with a CPU of their own.

Google invented a TPU according to Google's dedicated TensorFlow processor, or TPU, crushes Intel, Nvidia in inference workloads - ExtremeTech

Maybe Google is waiting for the right time to release their TPU and other computer processors to the public. Google have enough money to wait for the right time to release a new processor. A good time to release a processor is when most of the other companies are doing poorly because of unhappy users, worker strikes, and bad news like workers bullying other workers.

It is not like Google does not have enough money if they don't release a new product every few years like traditional electronics companies. Google Search, YouTube, Google Play, Adsense, Adwords, and Google Drive already make tons of money for Google.

Google can have a higher chance of mainstream success when competitors like Intel, Apple, Samsung, and other hardware makers have a lot of unhappy users because of hardware and software problems and poor technical support.

Last edited:
should have known....

There are also articles that say Google is hiring former Mobile CPU designers from Apple according to Google hires designer behind Apple's mobile chips

I'm guesing Google is waiting for batteries to be better, so they can hold many days of power before releasing a mobile CPU which is a power house, and can run apps and games at super fast speeds without draining down the battery to zero.

Back