Switch Would the Switch come out with a TV-only console?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I feel it is unlikely that Nintendo would release a Switch which is a traditional console which can just be connected to a TV for gaming in the near future.

There maybe a chance Nintendo release a Switch TV-only version of its console in the future to sell the Switch to poorer and basic gamers with less money or don't want to spend too much money on a console. Some buyers can't afford a $300 Switch, but can afford a $200 Switch TV console which connects only to a TV, and does not have a tablet, and uses a regular gamepad controller.

Nintendo released cheaper consoles like the Nintendo 2DS, Wii Mini, and NES Mini Classic, so there is a chance Nintendo would release a cheaper TV version of the Switch which is a TV game console which just come with a console, gamepad controller, and power adapter.

A Switch TV console most likely be cheaper to make because it won't need to come with built-in touchscreen, battery, and speakers like a tablet. TV consoles fan cooling systems may also cost less because they don't need to use blower style fans which are more expensive than regular looking fans.

But overtime the manufacturing costs come down and prices of consoles drop eventually. Plus there are sales and deals/offers, so gamers will eventually get the Switch for $200.

A TV only model is highly unlikely as it goes totally against the basic vision of the Switch.

I don't think there be much point really, unless it drastically cuts costs versus making a normal switch.

But overtime the manufacturing costs come down and prices of consoles drop eventually. Plus there are sales and deals/offers, so gamers will eventually get the Switch for $200.

A TV only model is highly unlikely as it goes totally against the basic vision of the Switch.

I think it is difficult to predict the cost of manufacturing game consoles in the future.

There is always a chance manufacturing will get more expensive.

Most factory workers maybe part of a worker union which help them to get a better deal where they get higher wages, and more benefits like better health insurance, and working conditions.

Factory workers and the factory owners also want to make more money to buy expensive products like cars, electronics, and gold.

Materials like metal, plastic, etc which is needed to make Switches may become more expensive since the price of metal, and plastic may become more expensive if it cost more to make the materials.

The cost of manufacturing may go down. But, Sales Taxes and import taxes may go up which make console more expensive because you need to pay taxes before buying the console.

The value of your countries money also can make the Switch more expensive. In places like Canada, Greece, Brazil, and India, the price of the Switch cost a lot more because the value of the dollar is lower compared to the US dollar.

I don't think there be much point really, unless it drastically cuts costs versus making a normal switch.

A TV-Only version of the Switch maybe popular in poorer countries where most people are more likely to buy a console which is a few dollars cheaper.

I think it maybe possible to make a Switch TV-only console for around $100-150 since the Ouya with a wireless controller was $99 in 2012. The Ouya used the Nvidia Tegra 3 CPU which was probably about the same price as the Nvidia Tegra X1 at the time because the Tegra 3 was one of the more powerful Android mobile CPU in 2012.

Other Micro-consoles also cost around $99-200. The NES Mini cost $60.

Last edited:
They are going to lower the cost of the existing Switch as more time goes by. Plus, some people wait to buy one used to get it even cheaper. So, I don't see them making a tv-only console for a cheaper price. I just don't see them making a tv-only console period.

So, I don't see them making a tv-only console for a cheaper price. I just don't see them making a tv-only console period.

I feel Nintendo may think about making a cheaper $60-100 TV-Only Switch console a few months or many years after the next game console is released.

Nintendo made cheaper consoles in the past like the Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom, Nintendo Classic Mini, and Wii Mini which was a more basic wii Mini console without internet access for online gaming, and web browsing.

Nintendo can always make the Switch like the Wii U where the console is separate from the tablet controller. But, you can insert the console like a cartridge if you plan on using the Switch in tablet mode.

Back