Would you buy a desktop computer which always needs to be connected to the internet?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I like to say no, but PC users may all be force to use an always-connected computer if we want to use a modern operating system, and software like games and office suites with better features like nicer graphics in games.

PC users will never know if most computers will someday will always need an internet connection to check if the user are using a non-pirated legal version of Windows or illegally unlocking paid features/DLC in Windows by hacking Windows or using stolen Windows serial keys for Windows Pro or Enterprise. Some computers may always need an internet connection to check to see if all PC software like MS Office is not a pirated illegal version.

Most countries may someday make a law to require computers to be always online to track users to see which users are breaking computer related laws like making and releasing a computer virus, and posting strongly worded online post about starting a protest against the government.

Sure, I always need internet so why not?

Sure, I always need internet so why not?

I imagine some people who are concerned with their privacy may fear the government and the company can always spy on them sort of like how some people don't like smart speakers like Amazon Alexa and Microsoft Cortana which need to be online to work.

I would never get such a desktop.

That is the reason why chromebook never looked great for me. Well, anyway, I will never get something like that.

If I needed a desktop computer for using as a web server to host a website or use as a VPN, Firewall, online file server, or proxy server, I may buy a desktop computer which is online only.

As I always use internet on my PC I would buy one if I had to. Nothing will be changed. But if the spying part comes in - I'm out.

I feel always-online desktop computer and device should at least have a physical button to turn off internet and network signals if the operating system does not support turning off wifi, wired internet/networking, and dial-up.

In the past, some external dial-up and cable modems have a button to turn off the modem, so there is no chance of it connecting to the internet.

A physical button to turn off the internet is more convenient than turning off the computer when you are not using the computer for a few hours like when you sleep or go to work.

Back