Would you host your site on another continent?

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Would you purchase web hosting for your site from a company whose servers are located on a different continent than the one you live in? For example, if you are American, would you buy hosting from an European or Australian company? If you are European, would you buy hosting from an American or Asian country? etc.

I've done it before - I base it on who will likely be visiting most. I've hosted sites mainly on US servers as I tend to get more traffic from there than the UK.

If the price is good, and the features, reliability, and reviews for the web host are good, I would purchase web hosting from another continent.

if I ever hope to make an edge gamer site I will have to host it in China under complete anomaly.

if I ever hope to make an edge gamer site I will have to host it in China under complete anomaly.
What? Why?

If you want freedom of speech that the US government can't control, you can host it in Iceland or Russia.

What? Why?

If you want freedom of speech that the US government can't control, you can host it in Iceland or Russia.
It's what this site used to be called, but there was another site with a similar domain and they threatened legal action against us.

It's what this site used to be called, but there was another site with a similar domain and they threatened legal action against us.

yep, but I still have the domains and I'll be damned if they get them (odd they haven't come after them). One day though I'll open something up again and in a way that I can fully give them the well deserved middle finger.

Well, then that has nothing to do with the hosting. If they file a lawsuit, your domain registrar will be the one involved in it, not your hosting company.

Well, then that has nothing to do with the hosting. If they file a lawsuit, your domain registrar will be the one involved in it, not your hosting company.

I believe they would be suing me for use of the name. I don't think they had anything to sue on but I'm not up for a war between forums right now.

Of course I would. However, there would be one important condition to think about:

Is the country trustworthy/unlikely to interfere with the site?

If it is (like say, many Western European countries, the US, Canada, Australia, etc), then sure. If it isn't (like China)... then no way in hell.

Interesting how you said "Western Europe", as if the rest of Europe is unreliable...

Unfortunately, some people stereotype non-western European countries as communist. There are non-Western countries in Europe which are reliable, and the government is not likely to take over your website, or the hosting company which host your site.

But, many western people like buying services from countries like the UK, Canada, US, Australia, etc because the countries are more familiar because they were all part of the UK in the past.

Well one site I have I have it hosted in the US and I live in Australia. Fun fact: I used to work for a US based host.

I wouldn't so many issues here. what if there is a fallout with the host? at least in the u.s (or your homecountry) if you have a fallout with your host its less messy.

Back