Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Just about one year ago, the hacker group known as Lizard Squad attacked Sony's and Microsoft's online services last year with a DDoS leaving both the PSN and Xbox Live down and useless and all related functions. Now a new group has stepped up claiming they will do the same this year, that group being Phantom Squad.

They will keep the service off for one week or more, to show that Sony and Microsoft are not putting in the money and effort to protect their digital services. They will also be going after Star Wars Battle Front, CoD: Black ops 3 and GTA V servers as well.

Reddit was also down earlier this week, which the group claims responsibility for.

Do you support their mission? Do you think it is right? Will you be having a networkless holiday week?

Shouldn't Microsoft and Sony be doing more to try and stop this sort of thing? I mean, websites have stuff like Cloudflare... surely there's something similar for game server systems, right? Like some way to block suspicious track, or offload some of the processing to some other group...

It's stupid how these people want to ruin peoples holidays really. Your not helping much to be honest by taking down the system, just a massive inconvenience

CM30, it's not that they don't take precautions against DDoS... it's simply that DDoS attacks are ridiculously easy and cheap to execute. I mean they took down cloudflare themselves one time. Fact is that it costs millions of dollars to have protection and it can be easily be burned through. Even for websites or forums it can cost you hundreds of dollars to thousands.

It's extremely easy to say "Oh, they should do more" but it's not that simple.

That stated, I hope Sony and Microsoft can weather this storm without problems. I hope Phantom Squad doesn't attack. Them attacking doesn't help anyone. Some people only get so much time off to relax and game and having their entire holiday break ruined because of some idiot who just wants to mess with everyone.

Hopefully we don't see any downtime this year, was a bit of a pain last year - especially with how long Sony took to recover. They will always be a target for people trying to gain some reputation, but I would hardly call a DDoS a hack.

Launching a DDoS isn't a hack at all. Literally all it is is flooding their servers with so many requests they can't keep up. That's it. There's no actual attempts to break through security on a DDoS alone. It's mostly just to inconvenience legitimate customers and users more than anything. That and cost companies millions of dollars in damages. (From wages they have to pay for staff to handle things... with overtime/holiday pay too, extra bandwidth costs, plus costs to compensate paying customers who were unable to access servers while they were down. )

Launching a DDoS isn't a hack at all. Literally all it is is flooding their servers with so many requests they can't keep up. That's it. There's no actual attempts to break through security on a DDoS alone. It's mostly just to inconvenience legitimate customers and users more than anything. That and cost companies millions of dollars in damages. (From wages they have to pay for staff to handle things... with overtime/holiday pay too, extra bandwidth costs, plus costs to compensate paying customers who were unable to access servers while they were down. )

doesn't it take hacking the flood source in order to flood a target?

Back