Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Microsoft revealed today that PC drivers are now available for the Xbox One controller.

Major Nelson made the announcement, offering direct links to download the PC drivers for the Xbox One controller. "The new PC drivers will enable the Xbox One controller to be used with any game that featured gamepad support for the Xbox 360 controller," Nelson wrote. "Simply download the drivers, connect your Xbox One controller to your computer through a micro USB cable and you’ll be gaming in no time."

While Microsoft confirmed PC compatibility for the Xbox One last year, rumors popped up in March that contradicted that information. However, Microsoft quickly debunked the misinformation earlier this year, and now PC drivers are available for download. Microsoft also plans to release the drivers as part of a Windows update in the near future.
source

This good news for you?

I think PC Gamers would use the cheaper USB Xbox 360 controller, and other similar USB controllers made by Logitech, or Razer. The Xbox 360 USB controller also is compatible with Steam OS, and more PC games.

The $50 Xbox One controller is one of the most expensive controllers, but the X1 is $10 cheaper than the $60 PS4 controller with a touchpad, and light on the front.

I think it is a good idea but what features does it offer I mean there isn't that much changed so why not go for the cheaper deal and go with the 360 Controller?

I think the trigger buttons vibrate when you use it to play First person shooter, and other shooting games, but the vibrating buttons does not seem very worth the extra cost of the X1 controller.

It's not really surprising. Almost everything winds up for PC sooner or later. Not really impressed, either. While the Xbox has a very good history with controller design, I guarantee you I can find a PC specific controller that's as good or better for around the same price or less. Of course, I prefer mouse and keyboard anyway, even for third-person shooters and adventure games (I'm weird like that).

I rather like the feel of the X1 controller as opposed to my stock 360 controller.

I think its good news. I also really like it when companies just add more functionality to their products. A little bit off topic but something that I think is kind of silly is the fact that with every new Iphone that is released comes with it a new charger. I feel like this is in the same vein in that sense. These companies didn't have to make these compatible with PC's but they decided to for the consumer. That alone is something I respect even though I don't have solid plans to be purchasing the system much less the controller. 

A worthy addition to the PC community but I am sure that nobody would really want the new controller. It is almost the same thing as the 360 controller and the 360 controller has already become a centralized controller in the PC gaming industry. I really don't find any reason to buy the XONE controller instead of the 360 one. I personally own a 360 controller for Windows and I find it great. I hope they'll still be selling the 360 controller with the receiver for the PC at least for another year as I am looking into buying another one

froggyboy604 said:
I think PC Gamers would use the cheaper USB Xbox 360 controller, and other similar USB controllers made by Logitech, or Razer. The Xbox 360 USB controller also is compatible with Steam OS, and more PC games.

The $50 Xbox One controller is one of the most expensive controllers, but the X1 is $10 cheaper than the $60 PS4 controller with a touchpad, and light on the front.
Precisely. What's the point in going out and buying a Xbone controller when most of us who like playing on PC with a gamepad already have a 360 controller, or something that we prefer using. An Xbone controller adds nothing to the PC gaming experience, so why on earth would anyone buy one, or even use one for this instead of their preferred controller?

I think that a lot of PC gamers will continue to stick with just a 360 controller, but they should reconsider. Microsoft took a lot of time to develop a new controller, and it really is a huge improvement over the 360 one. The button layout is smoother, the analogs are extremely responsive and it helps that they are smaller, and the d-pad is fantastic now that it's mechanical. I would recommend giving it a shot.

I think it's a good move to make them compatible with PCs still since their consumers probably are already used to the convenience seeing as the old Xbox controller was pretty much just plug and play which then made them very highly recommended for PC games, as far as I know. 

Ashton said:
I think it's a good move to make them compatible with PCs still since their consumers probably are already used to the convenience seeing as the old Xbox controller was pretty much just plug and play which then made them very highly recommended for PC games, as far as I know. 
You are indeed correct, you just plugged them in by USB, got the drivers and you were good to go.

That seems quite reasonable. I mean, the Xbox 360 controller was compatible with PC. There's no reason why the Xbox One controller can't be compatible. Definitely a good thing to ensure because a lot of people would be more than happy to use their Xbox One controllers to play games on Steam or something.

Back