Xbox One Delayed In Asia

There is no way Xbox one will thrive in Japan now.

It's delayed by a freaking year? Damn, it's DOA in Japan like the Wii U in America.

Dissapointing for the small percentage of people who play Xbox in Asia. Consoles don't really do very well in Asia except for Japan.

A lot of non-Japanese Asian people play mostly online PC games like MMORPG, and RTS like Star Craft since I mostly read about Asian people getting addicted to an online MMORPG, or buying very expensive items in an Online RPG.

The South Koreans play mostly PC games like Star Craft 1-2, Diablo, and MMORPGs. In South Korea, if you are great at Star Craft, you can enter Star Craft tournament to win trophies, and prize money.

I think it is the same for China, Hong Kong, and other countries in Asia where PC gaming is number 1. North Korea and China never had modern consoles shipped to their country because of a console ban.

Plus, a lot of console games like RPG, game menus, and the user interface are in english, so there maybe very few english games translated into Chinese, Korean, and other Asian languages, but with PC games, it is easier for local companies or fans to make language packs, subtitles and audio dubs for PC games made in English because the PC is an Open and hackable platform where you can change language files easily with programs, and hacks/mods.

Mobile Gaming  on Google Android, and Apple's iOS iPhone, and iPad is also very popular in Asia since a lot of Asians in South Korea have high end faster smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, and HTC One X which can play all modern mobile games like Shadow Gun, Asphalt 7, and The Bards Tale.

froggyboy604 said:
Dissapointing for the small percentage of people who play Xbox in Asia. Consoles don't really do very well in Asia except for Japan.

A lot of non-Japanese Asian people play mostly online PC games like MMORPG, and RTS like Star Craft since I mostly read about Asian people getting addicted to an online MMORPG, or buying very expensive items in an Online RPG.

The South Koreans play mostly PC games like Star Craft 1-2, Diablo, and MMORPGs. In South Korea, if you are great at Star Craft, you can enter Star Craft tournament to win trophies, and prize money.

I think it is the same for China, Hong Kong, and other countries in Asia where PC gaming is number 1. North Korea and China never had modern consoles shipped to their country because of a console ban.

Plus, a lot of console games like RPG, game menus, and the user interface are in english, so there maybe very few english games translated into Chinese, Korean, and other Asian languages, but with PC games, it is easier for local companies or fans to make language packs, subtitles and audio dubs for PC games made in English because the PC is an Open and hackable platform where you can change language files easily with programs, and hacks/mods.

Mobile Gaming  on Google Android, and Apple's iOS iPhone, and iPad is also very popular in Asia since a lot of Asians in South Korea have high end faster smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, and HTC One X which can play all modern mobile games like Shadow Gun, Asphalt 7, and The Bards Tale.
I live in South Korea and have lived in Japan and I can confirm most of this. Most people here in South Korea, don't own a console. If they do own a console, it's usually modded too, so it's not really a lucrative area for game publishers. Piracy is huge here.

Mobile gaming is the most popular by far. Most Koreans have smartphones, even in rural areas or at young ages. My sixth grade rural area student has a Galaxy S as an example. PC gaming follows that, but many people don't own their own gaming-PC, they go to a special room where they can hire a low-end gaming PC for a few hours to play games. They're called PC-Rooms if literally translated. 

Many of the console games here are in English, but with the menus translated into Korean. The subtitles may be in Korean or may be in English. The dialog is almost always in English.

I do think that the PS4 will do better in Asia overall, but I don't think it'll take off in South Korea. Aside from the aversion to consoles, many Koreans have a strong dislike of Japan, which Sony is associated with. I believe there's also a high tax on goods from Japan which may or may not apply, depending on if they build them in country.

Back