Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Microsoft has explained how Xbox Live Gold and digital game sharing features will work on Xbox One. To some degree, it's the revival of the nixed Family Sharing feature originally announced earlier this year. Here's how it breaks down.

Anyone can access your digital library via your Xbox One and use their Gamertag to play games. The license is tied to the hardware rather than the original purchaser alone. That said, you can also play and share games on other Xbox One consoles, and any purchases made on a friend's Xbox will be available on your primary console as well. Separate from the DVR functionality and Skype app, you will not need Xbox Live Gold to share your digital games locally.

On that note, Xbox Live Gold is also tied to your console rather than just your Gamertag. Regardless of whether or not the console owner is connected, friends and family can log in to their accounts and use Gold features, and you can do the same on their Xbox. Essentially, only one user needs a Gold account: Anyone using a Gold machine can access Gold features, even if they're not a paid subscriber.

Update: Microsoft has clarified to IGN that Xbox Live Gold is not required for digital game sharing; a subscription is only necessary to share access to entertainment apps and multiplayer gaming.  As digital game sharing a local-only feature -- one user logging into a friend's console, for example -- games can be shared between users' Xbox One consoles without a subscription.
source

Seems like Goldless Xbox one owners won't have much to play with.

There's one thing I'm confused about.

Say you buy a game with your gamer tag on a friend's console. The game will still be available on HIS console even if he plays with HIS gamertag. And the same game will be available on YOUR console if you log on with YOUR gamertag. Can both accounts play the same game at the same time then?

sounds like it, but still too much unknown to say for sure.

Anyways this info piece at at time thing is a fail in a fail. If I was running a big console business you better believe I do a 3 hour show fully explaining the system and do a Q&A session after. To not answer something gives the internet full permission to run wild making believable rumors.

I am not liking this that has been said ( Anyone can access your digital library via your Xbox One and use their Gamertag to play games ) this should be private only.However i do like this that was said ( only one user needs a Gold account: Anyone using a Gold machine can access Gold features, even if they're not a paid subscriber) that sounds good

Say you buy a game with your gamer tag on a friend's console. The game will still be available on HIS console even if he plays with HIS gamertag. And the same game will be available on YOUR console if you log on with YOUR gamertag. Can both accounts play the same game at the same time then?
Definately not. The game will be paid for and available on your account only. As soon as your friend logs in the game will not be for his account therefore he won't have access to play it regardless of it being installed on the system. That's what I gather.

I think that this is probably a silly leak by Microsoft itself to gauge the response and then make an official policy.

Back