Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBpmyktXdJ0

Despite the lack of support to swap in different hard drives (especially ones of a larger capacity) in the Xbox One, this guy says he's gotten the two pieces of hardware to cooperate. Not only that, the console runs faster with a non-stock hard drive installed.

Booting to the main screen goes about 10 percent faster with one; loading a level in Call of Duty: Ghosts goes about 20 percent faster.

Of course, installing this drive (or any) is going to void your warranty. And, as he points out, he still needs to figure out how to partition the drive so that its full capacity can be used. But the video suggests it can be done, at least.

As for why the Xbox One wouldn't support such modifications, that should be obvious. Christ, they won't even expose how much space you're using on the OEM drive. You sell a lot more peripherals and create a lot more demand for future models this way. I can't upgrade the hard drive in my iPad 4 for example, which for some reason needs 1.2 GB of hard drive space to implement a 50 MB operating system update. Oh noes! I should buy a new machine rather than delete games from the old one.

He's showing more of his work here.
source

This looks useful, but once the Xbox One Supports USB external hard drives, and flash drives for installing games and game saves like the Xbox 360, this would be less useful.

The speed increases don't really seem that worth it because of the much higher prices of SSD, and Hybrid hard drives which are only saving a few seconds of load time, but buyers pay hundreds to thousands of dollars more for a larger SSD in the 500GB-1TB size.

It would be slower if Xbox One user use an older USB 2.0 external hard drive or flash drive, but if they use USB 3.0, it could be faster if the hard drive has a spinning speed of 10 000 RPM for the disk inside the hard drive or it is a SSD which would make read and writes fasters compared to the 5400 RPM drive in the Xbox One, and the max speed of USB 3.0 is 5Gbit/s . When USB 3.1 is released, the max speed would be 10 Gbit/s.

Back