Your opinion on paid DLC?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
What do you think of paid DLC? Is it better than lootboxes? When it is done right or wrong? Let’s have a discussion on gaming practises here.

I like DLC when it's done right. I don't like DLC that makes one person more OP than the other. That's why Smash Bros had good DLC. Even if you don't have all the characters/costumes, it doesn't effect the game. Even the BotW DLC isn't that bad because it doesn't effect the core gameplay.

I love DLCs when they add extra contents like maps that you can play (in the case of Euro Truck sim) but if you are adding DLCs to multi player games then it a different story because not everyone will have the extra content.

DLC can be good, but easily abused. Nintendo has done it a lot of justice specially with the surprise release recently.

I think it’s fine. Day one is bad, or even close to release is bad. Think that just smells as some cut content from the main game. Big DLC expansions like The Witcher 3 did are the sort I’m happy with.

I think it’s fine. Day one is bad, or even close to release is bad. Think that just smells as some cut content from the main game. Big DLC expansions like The Witcher 3 did are the sort I’m happy with.
Some day one extras are done as DLCs and as far as I know that is the only way that it can be done on Steam.

Players should not support DLC, companies will continue abusing it. Let players teach companies a lesson, finish a game and do not release a half finished games.

Some companies release unfinished games and make you to purchase the DLC to be able to play the full game. That is what I don't like.

Never bought a DLC in my entire life. It's overpriced stuff that you can buy later on the same disk of the game's ultimate edition for cheaper. Not a fan of digital stuff, period, but it is better than lootboxes that's for sure.

Each company take different approach.
Nintendo does the best job, that one provide a fully filled hamburger, and asks money for turning into a set (chips and drink together).
EA provide a hamburger with meat and cheese, and asks money for cabbage, unions, sauce, chips, and drink separately.
Bandai Namco as of late provide a hamburger with cabbage, and asks money for meat, cheese, unions, sauce, chips, and drink separately.
Indie developers and dojin/kojin developers: "DLC is poisonous capitalist behaviour, our hamburger is made with love".

Gone are the days when we used to buy the whole game. Now they sell it to you in pieces, like pizza missing a few slices.

This generally only applies to the major dev companies, which are losing the quality they used to have any way.
Meanwhile, independent developers are now improving a lot, games are cheaper, and most don't make DLC later on.

Back