froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
According to The Wall Street Journal, former Google exec Lee Won-jin, who is currently Samsung’s Executive Vice President, is leading the effort. Samsung added tile ads to the main menu bar of its premium TVs in the US last June, and it’s looking to expand its program to Europe in the coming months.

But that’s not the worst news. According to the report, Samsung is planning to retroactively activate ads on old Smart TVs that might not already have them enabled.

Read More

Is Samsung not making enough money where they have to display advertisements on their Smart TVs to earn more money for themselves?

I bet, more people will go back to buying regular TVs, and a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, or Fire TV settop box for their streaming needs.

*looks over to see my tv a smart samsung TV*

Shit.....

I wonder would it be possible to install a custom ROM or app on a Samsung Smart TV to block these ads.

Well, there goes the Samsung out of the list of TV to pick from for buying this Christmas

I very highly doubt it.

I agree, Samsung probably does not need the extra revenue. But, they probably also earn extra revenue by advertising things like Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note series of smartphones where Samsung earns a lot of money from the sales of phones and tablets.

I think Samsung just wants to earn more money even if it upsets some users.

I wonder if it is legal to show ads in the middle of Cable TV shows, and streaming video like Netflix and YouTube where Samsung did not buy advertisement from the TV and online video site.

That sucks. I wonder if this will result in more sales of LG and Panasonic TVs.

I think more people are buying cheaper TV brands like Vzio, Hisesse, TCL, Insignia, RCA, etc which causes fewer people to buy Samsung, LG, and Panasonic TVs.

The cheaper TV brands may have fewer features, and the quality is sometimes not as good, but it is cheap, so people are willing to take a risk at buying a cheaper TV which may not last as long sort of like how people buy cheaper smartphones, and take a chance of them not lasting as long as an iPhone.

There are a lot of affordable settop boxes like Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, and game consoles which can be connected to regular TVs, so users can view online video, use apps, and play games, so people with a settop box or game console maybe more likely to buy a cheaper TV which is mainly designed to watch TV from Cable TV.

To be honest, I have never heard of any of those brands so far... The cheaper brands around here are Philips and Hyundai.

Vizio, TCL, Hisense, Insignia, and RCA are mostly popular in North America, and TCL and Hisense maybe popular in China as well because Hisense and TCL are Chinese companies. But, there are a lot of Chinese companies who make electronics, so Hisense and TCL may not be popular in China because of the large amount of Chinese electronics companies which are competing for buyers in China and around the world.

Philips is also a popular cheaper brand in North America. I think Westinghouse is also pretty popular in the cheap TV category in the US.

I think I bought cheap RAM/Memory for my computer which is made by Hyundai. But, never knew Hyundai made electronics.

I have a smart Samsung TV. Quite surprising that they would put ads on their TVs. I think from now on I will simply buy regular TVs and just use a PS4 or Roku for the smart features.

They make monitors, TVs and smartphones, as far as I know.

I haven't seen any Hyundai products in retail stores in Canada.

I think Hynix is the only Hyundai electronic company which is somewhat popular here with people looking to buy cheap RAM/Memory for their desktop and laptop PC instead of more expensive RAM from Crucial, Micron, or Kingston.

Back