Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Great news everyone, Youtube has finally made new monetization rules! Bad news, if you're a small channel you are so screwed.

Google announced major changes last night to how videos would be monetized on the site. Going forward, the company says big channels included in its coveted Google Preferred program will be manually vetted for ad friendliness.

Under the new guidelines, channels will need to have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time within the last year to be eligible for receiving ad revenue. Previously, uploaders needed just 10,000 total views to run ads on their videos. All Google Preferred channels will also now be manually reviewed, with ads only running on videos that have been approved. Enforcement of these guidelines will start February 20th 2018.

Let's see if any of that will be true.
I've had 4.4 million views in 2017 alone, and have over 41,000 subscribers.

But Google has been lying so much in this regard, I'm actually more skeptic than pleased, especialy seeing these guidelines aren't being enforced yet.

Let's see if any of that will be true.
I've had 4.4 million views in 2017 alone, and have over 41,000 subscribers.

But Google has been lying so much in this regard, I'm actually more skeptic than pleased, especialy seeing these guidelines aren't being enforced yet.

Time will tell, but I doubt the new rules will just make everything better even for those who do meet the requirements.

This is disappointing for new creators who want to make money. I think more creators will now use sites like Patreon to crowdfund money rather than rely only on ads.

They really have to at this point, youtube won't fund them.

I agree, they have to use Patreon and other crowdfunding sites to make money.

It can be a good idea to setup a simple website to make it easier for people to find the information on how to donate money online to them with Paypal, Bitcoin, credit cards, and offline payment methods like using the mail to send checks, money orders, and physical cash.

Some YouTube creators can always create their own products like T-shirts and jewelry to sell, and use YouTube videos to promote their physical or digital products. Some of the big YouTube creators already write books, and sell other stuff to make some extra money.

I heard they've been cracking down on YouTubers who put Patreon, PayPal, and other funding related links in their descriptions too, making new creators unable to ever reach the requirements at all.

I heard they've been cracking down on YouTubers who put Patreon, PayPal, and other funding related links in their descriptions too, making new creators unable to ever reach the requirements at all.

That is disappointing for people who want to raise money to make better video, or because they really need the money for electricity to run their computer and other stuff to create video .

I guest, the only free option to promote their crowdfunding profile link is to create a free social networking profile page on Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and WordPess.com, and link to their Patreon, Paypal, and other funding related sites from their free profile pages, and hope Google/YouTube does not ban their profile links to because it contains links to funding sites on their profile pages.

E-mail newsletters maybe another option to promote crowdfunding profile links without violating YouTube terms of service.

Those are called clickthrough pages, could be very confusing to people if done on SNS platforms, and it might come over as a scam if done on a personal blog or website.

Those are called clickthrough pages, could be very confusing to people if done on SNS platforms, and it might come over as a scam if done on a personal blog or website.

I think if a Creator also post short video summaries of full YouTube video on a site like Twitter along with sometimes asking for donations, some followers maybe less confuse, and are more likely to use a payment site like Paypal to donate a few dollars to help out a creator raise money to buy a better Camera or larger SD memory card.

I think as long as the personal blog or website has some unique content like photos, articles, reviews, and embedded YouTube videos, and is not only full of post about asking for donations, the site would not look like a scam to most people.

Not sure, since half of the rules YouTube has are not written in public view.
Tech giants are known for not putting anything controversial in their ToS, because even though barely anyone reads those, there's always someone who reads it any way.

All I know is that they're cracking down on people who do so.

Not sure, since half of the rules YouTube has are not written in public view.
Tech giants are known for not putting anything controversial in their ToS, because even though barely anyone reads those, there's always someone who reads it any way.

All I know is that they're cracking down on people who do so.

I know I am not one of the people who ever reads those :p

Back