Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So just wondering if anyone out there knows yet, but should someone be getting the latest Zelda game for the Wii U or the Switch?

I don't know if it matters honestly. I bought the Switch version and my friend preordered the Wii U version for me 8 months before the game came out so I have both, but I'm planning on doing a Let's Play of the Wii U version when I get the capability to record it. I can only assume it's the same though. Maybe the graphics are better on the Switch, but personally I can't tell the difference between standard definition and HD as it is so it doesn't matter to me.

In terms of overall performance, it depends. If you intend on playing Switch in portable mode, the Switch version is best, for console experience the best is on Wii U

IntoxNitram IntoxNitram mind boggling that the Wii U would be better in console that a newer system. Guess I should get that version then.
Keep in mind the game was developed originally for the Wii U which has a completely different architecture from the Switch. People are also noticing that the frame drops in the Switch version can be random at times, leading most to suspect it is a software issue rather than hardware. We also have to keep in mind that the game runs at a higher resolution on Switch than it does the Wii U. The Switch in handheld mode and the Wii U version both run at 720p, but the Switch is the only one that can maintain a consistent frame rate.

I am hoping this will be fixed in a patch within the next few months. If you look at Mario Kart 8, they were able to boost it from 720p on Wii U to 1080p on the Switch and maintain 60 FPS. Obviously the hardware is strong enough to run these games, fingers crossed Nintendo can iron out the wrinkles in the software that are causing these frame drops.

Keep in mind the game was developed originally for the Wii U which has a completely different architecture from the Switch. People are also noticing that the frame drops in the Switch version can be random at times, leading most to suspect it is a software issue rather than hardware. We also have to keep in mind that the game runs at a higher resolution on Switch than it does the Wii U. The Switch in handheld mode and the Wii U version both run at 720p, but the Switch is the only one that can maintain a consistent frame rate.

I am hoping this will be fixed in a patch within the next few months. If you look at Mario Kart 8, they were able to boost it from 720p on Wii U to 1080p on the Switch and maintain 60 FPS. Obviously the hardware is strong enough to run these games, fingers crossed Nintendo can iron out the wrinkles in the software that are causing these frame drops.

I forgot about that, I believe it was the same with Zelda TP which I got that for gamecube.

I think the Wii and GC were the same architecture, that's why the Wii could play GC discs and had ports for GC controllers. The Wii U is in the same boat, but they just didn't give it ports or a drive to read the GC discs. Switch is completely different, which might be why we haven't seen any VC games yet.

I think if you already have a Wii U, getting Zelda for the Wii U can be a good idea. The Switch does not seem to have a lot of games like Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Smash Bros, and third-party games like Grand Theft Auto V and Final Fantasy.

The extra screen on the Wii U tablet controller may also make the game more fun, and enjoyable when playing it on a TV. The Switch needs to be docked to work on a TV, so users can't use the screen on the Switch Tablet when it is docked to the TV dock.

I think if you already have a Wii U, getting Zelda for the Wii U can be a good idea. The Switch does not seem to have a lot of games like Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Smash Bros, and third-party games like Grand Theft Auto V and Final Fantasy.

The extra screen on the Wii U tablet controller may also make the game more fun, and enjoyable when playing it on a TV. The Switch needs to be docked to work on a TV, so users can't use the screen on the Switch Tablet when it is docked to the TV dock.
I played a lot of Wii U and all I can say is the game pad never added to the fun. It was great for off tv play, but the Switch beats it there in every regard.

I played a lot of Wii U and all I can say is the game pad never added to the fun. It was great for off tv play, but the Switch beats it there in every regard.

I wished that Nintendo use the dual-display mode of the Wii U to make it more fun when gamers use a TV and the tablet to play Zelda.

I wished that Nintendo use the dual-display mode of the Wii U to make it more fun when gamers use a TV and the tablet to play Zelda.
From what I've heard, it does nothing, right? It could have at least been used for a map or quick inventory swapping.

From what I've heard, it does nothing, right? It could have at least been used for a map or quick inventory swapping.

I agree using the Wii U tablet controller's screen as a map, quick inventory swapping, weapon changing, and other task would be nice.

I don't play a lot of Zelda so I don't know if I would get either. Plus, I don't have a Switch yet so my only option at this moment would be for the Wii U if I decide to get this game.

Back