2024 Dynamite Thundercats Comic Series (Story Spoilers)

Read issue 5 it's great!

lots of Cheetara's PLOT panel lol

Knightstorm gave me a link to the comic's writer interview from aiptcomics. Posting it here, Thanks Knightstorm! :)

AIPT: Why do you think the Declan Shalvey and Drew Moss-penned Thundercats series resonated with people so much?

Soo Lee:
It’s an incredible team and the original cartoon series is so iconic.

SL: Declan, our editor Nate [Cosby], and I talked about what the future of the series would be even though our series don’t tie in but I wanted to get inspiration for what I wanted to write about.

AIPT: How does your book specifically spin out of Thundercats (feel free to spoil as much or as little as you want)?
SL:
I don’t want to spoil it, but there’s not much. It’s a clean slate and a whole new story.

AIPT: Once she’s actually on her own, what can we expect from Cheetara’s adventures? How do they compare to the main book?

SL: I elaborate on some of her more “hidden” powers and show how capable she truly is, as her own character and how important she is to the team.

AIPT: Why was Cheetara the natural choice to get her own book/series?

SL:
I think she might be the second most interesting character in the series and why not elaborate on the most important woman in Lion-o’s life?

AIPT: What was it like working with artist Domenico Carbone? What do they bring to the table?

SL: Domenico is such a talented artist. We didn’t want a Cheetara that was overtly sexualized and treated with respect and he listened. I’ve been trying to encourage him to draw the series in his vision with light guidance but also in a way that he might follow the story in the way I imagine it to be. I also keep in touch by sending lots of compliments to his work as the pages come in!

AIPT: You’ve created some great books with really strong leads (Disney Villains: Maleficent, Carmilla: The First Vampire). How does Cheetara compare to those two (aside from maybe being just a liiiiitle more noble and just)?

SL:
I imagine Cheetara to be the leading role behind the curtains of the leader. Cheetara also is very strong and certain of who she is, so it’s a lot of fun writing the voice of a woman who is confident.

AIPT: Does being an artist maybe make you a better or more well-rounded writer?

SL:
I don’t know about well-rounded, but I write scripts the way I think would make sense to an artist, visually. I want to tell the story but leave the panel and character direction to Domenico. I also like to write a single sentence synopsis for him to read, so he can get an idea of what the page would be about before he starts drawing. Hopefully, that’s helpful.

Saw TCATS issue 6 preview:
WB-Thundercats-06-ReviewCopy_Page_10-jpg.webp

Read issue 6, Panthro and the Thundertank kicking ass! also Snarf lol. great action!

The action scenes of this game are so intense and the artwork is also amazing too. Panthro is definitely a standout character in this game.

I'm enjoying the fresh take on the classic Thundercats characters. This comic series is actually bringing a new level of excitement to the franchise. Don't you think so?

Reactions: cm2
So apparently DC comics is not happy that Dynamite gets to play with Thundercats when Warner Bros' own comic book publisher, Dc does not.

Read from bleeding cool on Issue 8:

ThunderCats #8 is set to release September 25, and will introduce fans to the mysterious figure known as "Apex." Designed by series writer — and artist in his own right — Declan Shalvey, fans might recognize certain visual elements of this character. But his true identity can only be discovered in the pages of #8 and beyond.

"Taking on the challenge of reintroducing the ThunderCats in this new series was a huge task and I couldn't be happier with what Drew Moss and I have done with the book," said writer Declan Shalvey. "With much of the new status quo established in the 'Omens' arc, we're now in a place where we're building our own ThunderCats lore, and with that comes the mysterious Apex. This character is going to introduce a whole new set of issues for the ThunderCats, especially once we learn their true identity. I was really delighted to be able to design this character too, following on from the designs Drew has previously established."

So apparently DC comics is not happy that Dynamite gets to play with Thundercats when Warner Bros' own comic book publisher, Dc does not.

Read from bleeding cool on Issue 8:

ThunderCats #8 is set to release September 25, and will introduce fans to the mysterious figure known as "Apex." Designed by series writer — and artist in his own right — Declan Shalvey, fans might recognize certain visual elements of this character. But his true identity can only be discovered in the pages of #8 and beyond.

"Taking on the challenge of reintroducing the ThunderCats in this new series was a huge task and I couldn't be happier with what Drew Moss and I have done with the book," said writer Declan Shalvey. "With much of the new status quo established in the 'Omens' arc, we're now in a place where we're building our own ThunderCats lore, and with that comes the mysterious Apex. This character is going to introduce a whole new set of issues for the ThunderCats, especially once we learn their true identity. I was really delighted to be able to design this character too, following on from the designs Drew has previously established."
I wonder if Marvel feels the same way about some of the Disney licenses that Dynamite also has?

Reactions: cm2
Back